Steel Stairs Shop drawings, How much?

ajrare

Have been asked for a fixed price to generate shop drawings for a steel stairs in an existing commerical buildling.  See attached pic.  How much would you charge? what is the going rate for your business in your area?

stair 3 cb.jpg

What is your prior experience doing shop drawings for something like this? (Your question indicates that you haven't done this before.) Have you seen a sample of what they are expecting? Are you being asked to design all members and connections yourself, and would guards/handrails be included? Do they have sample details for you to incorporate? If this is your first time, you will be shocked at how many details and pages may be required. If they are expecting you to take responsibility for the design, too, there is MASSIVE liability involved for commercial stair design.  You are showing just the architectural plans, but usually there are already structural plans & details available for something like this. Have you seen anything from an engineer?

Here's something from a company that specializes in this: http://www.sdrawings.com/structural_steel_shop_drawings. You can see that they provide a fully engineered set of plans. If you are being asked to provide a fixed price for a package like this, there is no way that anyone here is likely to be able to give you advice, especially since there are unknowable engineering costs.  There are lots of companies that provide this service. e.g. http://ussteelstairs.com/.

Or just Google "steel stair shop drawings".

I did steel shop drawings for $100 a sheet using paper and pencil but it was a very long time ago.  Brand new Volkswagens were under two grand.  Mine were for structural.  Back then stair work was called miscellaneous steel.

Unless it is your livelihood, I would not touch it with Chief CAD.

I am assuming that the drawings will need to be stamped by an engineer?

Member sizing and connection specs will need to be shown and documented?

Not sure if this project is one that would be better left to an engineering firm with in an in house draftsman for the cd work.

1 hour ago, RL-inc said:

I am assuming that the drawings will need to be stamped by an engineer?

Member sizing and connection specs will need to be shown and documented?

Not sure if this project is one that would be better left to an engineering firm with in an in house draftsman for the cd work.

If i am not mistaken the OP is a structural engineer.

• 1 year later...