MarkMc

Carriage return in layout title page information-Ruby?

I thought I had something for doing this but can't find it and can't  make it work. Am I dreaming?

Is there a way to insert a carriage return when editing "page information, title"? Thought that could be done with Ruby?

9 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

Like this 

A + "\r\n" + B

kinda what I tried first with no joy, Thought I had a macro that was just a carriage return, tried remaking the macro but something not working. Get the same result using that.

return.png

Mark:

• Macro Name Enter
  • Macro Content "\n\t"
  • Evaluated
  • Context None

In the Page Info put %Enter% where you want a new line.

• \n is "New Line"
  • \t is "Tab"

You don't really need the "Tab" so "\n" should be sufficient.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:
  • Evaluated
  • Context None

That was what I had missing- did not evaluate, since it had a check figured I was ok. Both sets of code work, thanks guys.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:35 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

You don't really need the "Tab" so "\n" should be sufficient.

Just went to my page table and using any version of the macro mucks it up- makes whatever is after the return macro move to the page column while creating a new line there.

Any way around that?

Page Title with macro.png

Resulting page table.png

Are you trying to keep the 2nd line within the same cell, or just move down a line in the table?

Title Line 1%r%Title Line 2

where the macro is "\n\t\t"

does this

Snap1.thumb.png.7ab7080ac35fd942ffd1a6c5ab26eaaa.png

6 minutes ago, solver said:

where the macro is "\n\t\t"

I want to keep it on the same line, I also don't want it to expand into space- here's what I get with "\n\t\t"

Screen-2017-06-05_15-42-51.png

Screen-2017-06-05_15-43-09.png

Screen-2017-06-05_15-44-05.png

I used 2 tabs to move over 2 columns in my example.

You would like this?

Snap1.thumb.png.0842024c20a18371c31f0149f0f66e68.png

16 minutes ago, solver said:

You would like this?

I'd settle for that if it's the best I can get. I need the return to fit well in my pages SO I'm placing this in the page title not in the page table.

AFAIK I also used two tabs? "\n\t\t" as in last screen shot.

Edited by MarkMc

Here is with no macro- as close to this is what I'm after, will settle for two lines on page title in the same cell.

Page table.png

3 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Here is with no macro- as close to this is what I'm after, will settle for two lines on page title in the same cell.

I'm completely confused. 

If not using the macro gives you what you want, why use the macro?

In #7, I showed placing the part after the macro on a 2nd line, and in #9, I showed it in the same cell -- which I don't believe can be done.

The tabs move over one column, so in your case, you would use 1 tab.

I'm away from my computer so I can't test anything but here are a couple quick notes from my personal experience.  

1.  Using newlines to affect schedules is hardly useful.  I've played with it when trying to achieve some unusual outside the box type solutions but I don't believe I recall having ever actually  ended up using it. 

2.  To get multi-line cells  I usually add spaces and not newlines.   If you add the appropriate number of spaces and adjust the column width appropriately you should probably be able to get what you're after that way.

On 6/2/2017 at 4:47 PM, MarkMc said:

Is there a way to insert a carriage return when editing "page information, title"?

Eric- Above is what I asked for in the first place. I want to add a line return to the page information  like this

5935c28a6d360_Pagetitle.thumb.png.7457640fc95f1a57f6b64a54f7e0da6d.png

where it shows up in the layout page like this

5935c29dee721_Layoutpage.thumb.png.3c0ba2271fca09264b40024438841c10.png

I'm beginning to think Michael is correct, the only way to do what I'm after is with spaces-which is a trial and error PIA where I started.

I know I'm missing the obvious.

In layout, I added the %layout.title% macro.

Snap3.thumb.png.caf9ea39f766bcac4499aa7a1ee2744f.png

Snap2.thumb.png.19ec6fa1bff344ac563391ddc6dd633e.png

33 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Eric- Above is what I asked for in the first place. I want to add a line return to the page information  like this

I'm beginning to think Michael is correct, the only way to do what I'm after is with spaces-which is a trial and error PIA where I started.

Okay.  Now this is starting to make more sense to me.  You're trying to affect the page title without affecting the schedule?  I think there is another way.  I'll try to help you out when I get back to my computer.  In short though I'm thinking you need to use a newline macro that contains a conditional statement of some sort.

If you copy/paste from a word doc, you can embed the newline.

Snap4.thumb.png.bb844126b547a85deb2df549574ea06e.png

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Snap4.thumb.png.bb844126b547a85deb2df549574ea06e.png

Interesting.  FWIW, depending on the situation there are other ways to get newlines as well such as...

"

"

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Just went to my page table and using any version of the macro mucks it up- makes whatever is after the return macro move to the page column while creating a new line there.

Any way around that?

Resulting page table.png

Did you try the "\n\t" macro?

It will add the tab so that the text is in the 2nd column.  You will still get an extra box because you include the grid lines.  I don't use the border or the grids so it looks better IMNSHO ;)

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Did you try the "\n\t" macro?

It will add the tab so that the text is in the 2nd column.  You will still get an extra box because you include the grid lines.  I don't use the border or the grids so it loos better IMNSHO ;)

Yes- tried every variation you guys posted. No borders may be an option.

17 minutes ago, solver said:

I get the same result that way as using the macro.

Hoping Michael has some magic- else it's add spaces OR no border OR change the size of something (nah) OR paste a text box over that in the layout page since the page table reads fine.

15 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Yes- tried every variation you guys posted. No borders may be an option.

I get the same result that way as using the macro.

Hoping Michael has some magic- else it's add spaces OR no border OR change the size of something (nah) OR paste a text box over that in the layout page since the page table reads fine.

Mark, I just tested it and the macro with "\n\t" in it works for me even with the Grids and Border.

Marks Macro test..JPG

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

Yes there is. Several ways have been shown.

What are you after? What are you trying to do that you cannot do?

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Yes there is. Several ways have been shown.

What are you after? What are you trying to do that you cannot do?

I showed what I want, two lines in one cell.

13 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I showed what I want, two lines in one cell.

Okay, now I'm confused again.  Do you actually want 2 lines in the CELL or do you want 2 lines in the TITLE?  Or do you actually want 2 lines in both?

I want two lines in the title on the layout page.  

I want one cell in the page table, prefer one line in table but would settle for two as long as it's one cell.

If that can't happen I'll use spaces as you submit OR over write with a text box on the layout page.