Chief's Electrical Panel

CJSpud

I don't know why I haven't brought this up before but - Why doesn't Chief's electrical panel from the library include the box buried in the wall for 2D plan views?  The box is there in the 3D views of the symbol.  I would very much like to have it shown in plan views as it isn't very obvious in plan views the way it presently displays.

ElectricalPanelSymbol.JPG

Joe's solution is a good one but you can also open the symbol, click on the 2D Block tab, and Generate Block and you'll get the box but then you'll have problems getting it to automatically mount to the wall.  You can also click on the Options tab, change it to floor mounted, and set the origin offsets to zero but then you'll have to manually position it into the wall.

That is exactly what i did Joe but added a CAD box over the niche to illustrate there's a panel box in the wall.

Michael:  Good suggestion (sort of) but as noted with issues as well.  Why not have the dudes in Cd'A just revise the darn thing and put it in the next update?  They've given us fantastic realism in so many other areas ... why not "fix" that electrical panel for us?  Please!!!  Thank you.

NicheCADBlockRed.JPG

27 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

That is exactly what i did Joe but added a CAD box over the niche to illustrate there's a panel box in the wall.

Michael:  Good suggestion (sort of) but as noted with issues as well.  Why not have the dudes in Cd'A just revise the darn thing and put it in the next update?  They've given us fantastic realism in so many other areas ... why not "fix" that electrical panel for us?

It would require a whole new functionality that Chief still doesn't have...the ability to insert an object into a wall.  It's something that some of us have been requesting for a while now.  Chief can mount an object TO a wall, and we can have the object cut a hole in the wall (shape of that hole is extremely limited though).  What we cannot do though is place that object INTO the wall unless we do so manually and cut the hole manually.  It's not as easy as just fixing the symbol. 

24 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

Michael:  Good suggestion (sort of) but as noted with issues as well.  Why not have the dudes in Cd'A just revise the darn thing and put it in the next update?  They've given us fantastic realism in so many other areas ... why not "fix" that electrical panel for us?  Please!!!  Thank you.

NicheCADBlockRed.JPG

Curt's point is not only valid, but relevant to all things that require work-arounds.  Chief should redouble its efforts to identify all opportunities to do so, as they arise, such as this case.

I would think marrying the panel box with the new niche tool, wouldn't be that difficult, but then I am not a programmer so I can only assume.

Good suggestion Curt - you should move this thread there.

On 2017-04-13 at 11:33 AM, CJSpud said:

I don't know why I haven't brought this up before but - Why doesn't Chief's electrical panel from the library include the box buried in the wall for 2D plan views?  The box is there in the 3D views of the symbol.  I would very much like to have it shown in plan views as it isn't very obvious in plan views the way it presently displays.

ElectricalPanelSymbol.JPG

Late to the party, but I place the "Electrical Meter Socket" symbol and adjust its dimensions to roughly the size of an electrical panel box and then block it together with the Electrical Panel symbol. This gives what I think you're looking for. 

(If I was more experienced I could figure out how to make the opening on the top look circular again after it was stretched to an oval as a result of adjusting the dimensions for the symbol.)

Screenshot 2017-04-15 07.51.10.png

Michael:

My image showing the solid (red) box occupying wall space behind the panel face is what I want.  It really doesn't have to be red but it would be nice when we place the panel face that we get the box with it rather than having to place a niche and manipulate its size to match the size of Chief's box for camera views appearance.