Can anyone open this in Chief?

tommy1

I have a .dwg from a surveyor that I can't open in Chief. I have tried a couple of versions of Chief. I've tried importing in ft and inches. Usually a survey from the survey company would be in feet. I also tried increasing the line weights, and changing to a black background. I can however open it with Autodesk DWG TruView 2017 and it comes in fine but don't see how I can save it from that program. I need to try and get it into Chief. I would appreciate it if anyone would see if they can get it into Chief.

Thank you,

ACAD-16-TX-29 PURGE-v2004.dwg

I'm away from my computer but try hitting Control+A (select all) and then zoom way in on anything that gets selected.   Sometimes the selection picks up some outside points and you actually have to find the drawing along one of the edges (usually at one of the corners).

Your welcome. I opened it in TurboCad Deluxe (cheap and useful) saved in that format, then re-saved as dwg with new name, set the dwg version back a little in time just in case that was the issue.

I had TC Pro many moons ago, downgraded to Deluxe and upgrade every few years, usually when I come across a CAD file from a manufacturer that is in a newer format.

Handy little program, I rarely use it for anything but file conversion :) or to fix something.

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm away from my computer but try hitting Control+A (select all) and then zoom way in on anything that gets selected.   Sometimes the selection picks up some outside points and you actually have to find the drawing along one of the edges (usually at one of the corners).

Thank you Michael. I've done this before but never had one that far out. I guess that's what threw me.

10 minutes ago, tommy1 said:

Thank you Michael. I've done this before but never had one that far out. I guess that's what threw me.

Im wondering if it's a new issue with X9 or maybe something having to do with a recent AutoCAD update because although I could be wrong, I don't recall seeing anything quite that extreme until recently either and I've seen almost the exact same situation twice in the about the last week or 2.  Coincidence?  

I don't think it's an X9 issue because it did the same thing in previous versions of Chief back to X6. Didn't try going further back. What I can say is that when I opened this file in AutoDesk DWG TrueView 2017, it went straight to the plan. I used to have this problem years ago when importing certain dwgs and had to do what you suggest. In recent versions, Chief says that now dwgs are imported to 0"0" by default now so I didn't really even think about it. This tells me now that when I run into this problem again, I know that I still have to hunt for it. I've given this tip about finding things in plans many years ago in our User Group but haven't had to do this in a long time. I guess that's what I get for thinking. What I normally do in this situation is find the damn thing then select all of it and copy/paste into a new plan and all is good when you open it. I never spend the time trying to find the other item. Thank you again. I should have thought of this since I used to do it years ago.