Deleting Linetype

buzzsaw204

Hmmm, I see where line style files can be imported into Chief

but I don't see where they can be exported ???

If the line style file has an extension of .DAT (maybe .LIN ?)

then you might be able to manually delete the line from the file

then import into Chief

if there is truly no way to delete line styles from Chief

then this lack of feature should be fixed

Lew

Sorry, you can't delete them once they are in the plan.  Chief comes with certain line types that are in all plans.

If you just want to have the most common that you use:

1.  Create your own and place a "_" at the beginning of the name.  Those should all show up at the top of the list.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is just flat annoying. I created a number of custom line styles on one particular plan trying to see what would look best on layout and now they are there forever. Can't rename them. Can't remove them. And too far gone to start with a fresh plan and imports.

I'm confused...

The line styles are stored in the library. The 'standard' line styles are part of the CA core library which is a 'locked' library and items in the library can not be deleted. That said, any USER CREATED line style is stored in the 'user library' which is unlocked and any line style there can be edited/modified or removed from the library.

Now, if a line style is 'actively used' in a plan, I can understand where it can not be deleted, just like you can not remove 'active' materials from a plan. However, it would seem that if you knew where the particular user defined line was used, it could be selected and a new line style applied. At that point, the 'old' user line style could be deleted since it is no longer used/active.

It seems like one should always be able to modify/edit/remove user defined line types. What am I missing?

The only way that I know of to eliminate this is to start a new Plan

Hopefully, some fine day - CA will eliminate this type of BS in the code

anything and everything that can be created by a user

should under the total control of the user

it is all these "foibles" that can drive a user to "drink"

or say bad words about Chief

Lew

• Downvote 1

It seems like one should always be able to modify/edit/remove user defined line types. What am I missing?

If you create a custom Line Style, use it in a plan, then later abandon that line style (ie. change everything that used it to something else), it will still show in the drop down list of available line styles no matter what it's status in the library is. You cannot remove it. For example, I'm now stuck with 8 variations of a --- slope --- line because I couldn't get my custom line to look right until 7 iterations later.