Cabinet automatic_label - what's the source

Joe_Carrick

Chief provides an automatic_label attribute for Cabinets.  This includes a prefix and suffix which must have been based on some manufacturer's standards.  Does anyone know what manufacturer(s) that was originally based on? 

Most Manufacturers use a CODE that's similar to what Chief provides but there are differences.  I want to automatically adjust the CODE in Chief for various Manufacturers but I would just use the automatic_label attribute for the ones that match (if any).

We had a meeting with Marc (Scott sponsored) about cabinets and Marc said they all pretty much use a different code and he has come up with a macro that covers the cabinets he uses, but any others will need their own macro.

I don't know what they based it on. Most likely have match some brands of stock cabinet, fewer semi custom. I sent you a link to a zip with several catalogues, have a few more available if you want. 

Places that start to vary : 4 drawer, butt doors, sink bases, appliance cabinets, trash pull outs, bases with roll outs, pantries, any accessories, more than 2 doors, stacked walls, end panels, wainscot, guess it's a long list. 

I'm approaching to use a macro attributes are available AND cabinets that don't take long to reconfigure in the DBX.

If configuring the cabinet is time consuming I save in library already labeled, with appropriate prefix, size macro(s) suffix if need, "mod" in code field if likely and comment (both are easier to delete than add). Those are ALL on a second layer which allows me to select others by layer so I can change label macro if client changes brand. In that case the library cabinets have to be replaced with others. Not as bad as it sounds and certainly no worse than changing brands in 2020 which is just voodoo. 

In most cases I start design with the default cabinet and replace later. I've also taken to making almost all the library cabinets 15" wide and resizing after replacement to fit the space. Have taken to pasting shortcuts into a folder for the project and setting that to be first in the user library. (wish we could filter on sub folders in the user library; or turn one into a toolbar all at once) 

Since we've been making each brands library using a template I started experimenting with leaving them in the template, deleting those that aren't likely to be used and dragging the rest off to the side for use later as replacement. Not sure which is easier yet, likely a combination. 

Marc,

I've got most of the Conestoga Codes done in my macro based on the Cabinet attributes and sizes.  There are a few that simply have to be manually entered and saved in the Library - but only a very small number and nothing that's very often used.  I would like to have an cabinet attribute for the "room" which would facilitate identifying Vanity and Office cabinets as opposed to Kitchen cabinets.

I have my macro set up so that depending on the contents of the Manufacturer Field the Code is set.  This includes both stock sizes and Custom sizes.  Anything that's not stock is prefixed with a "C".

I still need to take a look at the catalogs you sent.  It just seems that CA must have had something as a starting point for the automatic_labels.  I strongly suspect that most companies use a very similar set of Codes. 

IAE, it would be great if someone at headquarters could chip in with an answer.

I only keep commonly used cabinets in the library, ones I don't want to spend time adjusting or that have too many options (brand w/4 pie cut lazy susans, 5 PO trash...)

Not sure that a room attribute solves much; it's pretty common to mix kitchen cabinets in offices/baths,  or to use tall vanity cabinets in the kitchen to avoid a mod charge.

IF I were to try to base the label macro on mfg (and line/construction) I'd be looking to get the information from the door style (and construction) Don't know if that attribute is available that way (to use in the cabinet label)? It would keep that field in the OIP free for other things (but I'm not going for one macro for every brand so MFg doesn't matter to me.)

4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I still need to take a look at the catalogs you sent.  It just seems that CA must have had something as a starting point for the automatic_labels.  I strongly suspect that most companies use a very similar set of Codes.

Let me know what you think after you take a look.

Hi Mark,

I looked at the catalogs and IMO these Manufacturers have gone way out in left field.  It seems they have a CODE for every possible condition rather than a simple system for the box and door/drawer configuration.

Since I'm concentrating on Conestoga (Youngdale is a Dealer) the Codes are much simpler.  Almost every CODE can be represented based on the existing Cabinet attributes.

Basically there are just 3 primary Box Types:

• B = Base
  • W = Wall
  • U = Utility

Then there are some qualifiers such as:

• S = Sink
  • C = Corner
  • O = Oven (replaces the "U")
  • FD = Full Door
  • FC = Filler
  • 1D = 1 Drawer, 2D = 2 Drawer, 3D = 3 Drawer, 4D = 4 Drawer
  • LS = Lazy Susan

Followed by size (usually w x h but sometimes w x d x h)

Followed by "BD" for Butt Doors

If the cabinet doesn't fit a standard size or configuration the CODE is prefixed with a "C" for Custom

If it's a Vanity Cabinet the CODE is prefixed with a "V"

Some other Cabinets such as Desk, Open Shelves, etc may be prefixed with other characters but generally it's possible to just use one of the 3 basic types.

IAE, the most complex CODE would be something like:

CBCFD32134.5BD  [ Custom, Base, Corner, Full Doors, 32" wide, 21" deep, 34.5" high, Butt Doors ]

while a stock Base Cabinet would be:

B2434.5  [ Base, 24" wide, 34.5" high ] Single Door and 1 Drawer

Door Styles, Pull-outs, Finishes, etc are not a part of the CODE. 

There are still a few configurations for which it's easier to just enter in the CODE field manually rather than trying to program into a macro, but those are special cases.  In addition I can specify a Custom Front and Box with whatever Doors, Drawers, Openings needed.  Those would also be entered manually in the CODE and Description Fields.

In summary, I don't think it's going to be feasible to do a macro to automate the CODE for the majority of your Cabinet Brands because of the complexity of those catalogs.

Welcom to the world of semi-custom cabinets ;)

Been using macro for one brand (the most challenging of the ones I carry) for a while now with system I described. Still needs a few tweaks but generated orders for hald dozen jobs as is. Quite doable, just has to be brand specific and used in combination with library.