Layout Box Label Font, default macros

TomBiggs

Does anyone know how to customize the layout box labels, so it automatically comes into sheet as a particular sized font, and with the %box_scale% macro?  Why is this setting not obvious?  It should be something you can access either from defaults, or ideally from an individual box that you open properties for.  

Unfortunately there are no Defaults for the Label of Layout Boxes so you just have to insert that directly for each Layout Box Label.  Personally, I have the Titles and Scale in the Plan Views I send to Layout in most cases.  %view.name% and %scale% in the Plan are reliable as long as you edit the view names in the Project Browser.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using one method but it is not yielding the desired results. Is there a way to create a Label Macro in Layout to show me what Annotation Set and Reference Sets are being used for this view? I hope the video below will explain what I want and why I want it.

Thanks,

Scott,

I MIGHT be able come up with something that would do what you want but to be perfectly frank, it wouldn't be easy to set up, to learn, or to maintain and I don't think it would be worth the time, the money, or the effort.  I really think your best bet is to just manually add that info to your layout box whenever you set it up and to change it whenever you change anything.  That's my 2 cents. 

Joe,

If you saw my video I have all the obvious suspect covered but thanks.

Mike, 

You may be right so I'll run with what I have. If it isn't a simple task for you I sure the heck won't push the issue.

thank you both,

Scott,

It's not really the Annoset.  It is the Layer Set being used in that Layout Box.

IAE, There's really nothing else available. 

I do have a "Plan Name" macro that I use within my "Floor Plan Views" that customizes the "View Name".  It uses the Floor Number and the Layer Set Name to dynamically create the name.  A modification of that macro might work in a Layout Box.

19 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:
  1. Open the Layout Box
  2. Open the Label
  3. M>
  4. Object Specific .... This will give you the Referenced File NameBox Scale, Layer  Set, Layer, and a few other things.

I don't think there's anything for Annotation Set.

Joe,

The "PLAN VIEW" menu item within the "Layout Box Specification" dbx actually says "Current Annotation Set". This works well because my template method has a matching AnnoSet and LayerSet. See Video for more detail.

Scott,

You are confused.

The Plan View in the Layout Box Specification IS reporting the Current Annotation Set being used.

The macro %referenced_layer_set% IS reporting the layer set used.

The reason you are getting confused is that you have both the Layer Set and the Anno set named exactly the same.

Change the name of the layer set and see what happens to the label.

Just now, glennw said:

Scott,

You are confused.

The Plan View in the Layout Box Specification IS reporting the Current Annotation Set being used.

The macro %referenced_layer_set% IS reporting the layer set used.

The reason you are getting confused is that you have both the Layer Set and the Anno set named exactly the same.

Change the name of the layer set and see what happens to the label.

Glenn,

You are absolutely right... I am confused in attempting understand Chief's logic in their DBX. I have it working just fine using my Same name method. What's missing is the ability to label "via macro" a Reference Floor and Layer Set.

Hope the Typhoon does not hit you guys!

Scott,

Cyclone (southern hemisphere) is a long way from us.

You are still confused.

3 minutes ago, mrscott said:

What's missing is the ability to label "via macro" a Reference Floor and Layer Set.

Chief CAN use the Layer Set via a macro.

It can't use the Anno set or Referenced Floor

Scott,

The "Referenced" attributes in Layout Boxes are not the same as in a Plan. 

They "REFER" to the Plan from which they came. 

• %referenced_full_filename% ...... The full file name of the "Plan File" that layout box came from
  • %referenced_filename%.............. The "Plan File" name without the path
  • %referenced_layer_set% ............ The Layer Set in the Plan

If the layer set is changed in the Layout Box they when you double click on the layout box it will open the view in the Plan with that Layer Set active.  It will not change the Annoset.

There is a new attribute %floor_number% for all objects.  This is available in the Plan but in Layout the value is always 1.

If you select a layout box and open the Ruby Console, then type "owner.names" you will find a list of all the attributes for that object.  These attributes values can be displayed in the label by placing a "%" before and after or they can be used in User Text Macros.  CA had provided "Object Specific" macros for only those attributes they believe to be useful.

Thanks Joe. And Glenn, thank you too for the Skype call last night.

Joe,

I'll delve into this a bit more over the coming weeks. The highlighted fields are what I am trying to flag. So many things to learn but all good, and made even better because of your guys.

Layout Box PLanView.JPG

47 minutes ago, mrscott said:

The highlighted fields are what I am trying to flag. So many things to learn but all good, and made even better because of your guys.

Layout Box PLanView.JPG

Scott,

Those things in the layout box dbx are not the same as what the macros are referring to.  There are currently no attributes or macros to get that information into a label.  Unless CA adds that data to the Layout Box attributes it simply isn't possible. 

Even in the Plan only the floor_number is available.  None of the "reference" data is available as attributes.