Terrain Issues

mslewis620

Long time sporadic Chief user. Use it to prepare plans for my contracting business. Some projects are simple while others involve much greater detail. Been a couple of years since I needed to create a landscaping plan for a client.

Just upgraded to Mac desktop from PC and X6 from X2 - nothing like learning new tools all at once. Love the lightening speed but Chief keeps crashing on me particularly when in 3d. But still faster than my old PC so I'll deal with the issue.

i don't use the terrain tool often and know I must be doing something basic incorrectly. I tried to use my plot plan info (CAD detail) to create the terrain but that didn't work so I copied the property line polyline and overlaid the terrain perimeter to get the right size and location then deleted the property line. Whatever I add to my terrain is not showing up in 3d. Some items like a pool won't even show up in 2d. I've checked (I think) all the possible display issues but can't seem to resolve it. I created a terrain layer set to use for this purpose. 

The lot is relatively flat and I don't have elevation information so just leaving it flat - slight slope at the rear but nothing major. Raised foundation approximately +15" to finished floor height. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Martha

Martha:

not sure about display issues

you may need to post the plan to receive more than guesses

copied the property line polyline and overlaid the terrain perimeter to get the right size and location then deleted the property line

I recommend keeping the property line separate from the Terrain Perimeter (

by making the TP larger than the lot you gain many benefits

such as having room for roads, sidewalks, other bldgs. etc

I also don't like seeing the "ends of the universe" when doing renders etc

all around more freedom having the PL's nested inside the TP

Lew