I know you all may wonder why I would want to do this.  Anyway, is there any easy way to have the bottom edge of the fascia boards be flush with the bottom edge of the soffit?  I have never figured out an easy way to accomplish this.  I know I can change the size of fascia boards and the soffit so that everything is real close to what I am trying to achieve.  I just wish there was an easier way to accomplish what I am trying to do  The look I am trying to achieve would look something like the flush eaves in the second picture but, they would still be boxed eaves.  If that makes any sense.

Chief Architect X8 - Bottom Edge of Fascia Flush with Soffit 01.jpg

Chief Architect X8 - Bottom Edge of Fascia Flush with Soffit 02.jpg

You are in luck as x9 does this with 1 check box....I am not at my system now but will post later.

Oh, Good!  Thank you so much.  I have looked for some setting or check box that might let me do this but could not find anything.  I am probably not looking in the right place.

Roof Plane Specification dbx, or Roof Defaults dbx...Options panel...Eaves...Flush Eave.

But it is still not perfect as the thickness of the end material is derived from the outside wall layer thickness of the gable wall.

This means that if you have a brick veneer wall on the gable end, the thickness of the vertical infill triangle will be the thickness of your brick wall layer.

Lance,

If you are using X8 in roof dbx, structure tab.

check mark by soffits "flat under eave sub fascia"

Change gable and eave sub-fascia size + the soffit material thickness = the size of the fascia +1/4" for the pitch of the roof.

flat under eave sub fascia.JPG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Aggie-1
    Newest Member
    Aggie-1

• By decorators3
      Hi 

Normally I don't have too many issues with roofs unless they are complicated.  This one looks simple .. but I can't seem to get the straight across area for the roof indent. I can have teh roof with gable but not as it looks in the picture--- as you can see by the one with the X this is what I  end up with and the other is how it should look.. Any suggestions.. I tried adding another floor and reducing the height but then the roof was too high

You're imput is always welcome

Thanks
      Levina

• By stevenyhof
      I have run into this a few times and can't seem to get rid of it. I do not want the boxed fascia on the gable end.
      I want what is on the left, not on the right.
      I even deleted the right roof and copied the left to the right - it just comes back.
      Thoughts?
      Thank you!
      SND1854 Potter Barn.plan

• By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      I have a soffit that just wants to be angled. I auto created the roofs and this happened. So I deleted that part and made my own - same thing. So I mirrored the rear roof at 45 into place - same thing. I have included the plan - anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it?

SND1833 Norm Jones Residence.plan
    • By StructEng58
      All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
      Brundage.zip
    • By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      I have been learning a lot about building porches, both manually and using Railings.
      I used a Room Divider to make the concrete pad. Then a molding profile to add 4" around it. 
      I made a 1x1 sq profile and made my beam, and added in my columns.
      I built several porches trying different roofs, but end up with no gable end wall. 
      I tried added an exterior wall and making it an attic wall, which added some frieze boards, but the wall just covered my porch from concrete up.
      Not finding much on videos for porches.
      Thank you