Sign in to follow this  
SNestor

Gable End Detail

Wondering how you would create a gable end like the one shown in the attached.  The rake soffit is sloped until it reaches the wall...then the soffit is flat.  

Would I have to create (2) separate roof sections?  One roof would only be about 16" wide...basically just the overhang.  Then create another roof from the wall back...with a flat soffit?

Thanks...

Rake Overhang 1.png

That's the way I've done it.  I used a polyline solid to close and trim the pork chop.

Selecting the roof plane and unchecking boxed eaves doesn't give you what you want?

Here's a simple example of using (2) roof planes...it's a bit quirky.  

3 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Selecting the roof plane and unchecking boxed eaves doesn't give you what you want?

I don't want the entire soffit sloped...unchecking the "boxed eave" selection makes the entire soffit length sloped.  I just want the soffit sloped from the gable wall out to the rake.

Rake Overhang Ex1.plan

Rake Overhang 2.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gregor43
    Newest Member
    gregor43

• By Darrellx
      I'm using home designed pro 2021.

Circled in the picture below is the area unfilled between the lower and upper roof where there is no wall.  I can extend the wall inward toward the peak to close the gap, but then area below the gap is closed off.  I've experimented, googled, and watched a bunch of video tutorials on roofs.  Actually seemed like one of the tutorial videos had a similar issue, but the instructor kinda glossed over it and changed to pitch on one roof to make it look a little better before moving on.

After banging my head for a few days, hoping someone has the answer.
      (plan is also attached for the image)
      MissingGableWall.plan
    • By Noremac
      Hello there!

I'm new to chief as of a few weeks ago. I'm really loving how in-depth you can get with it. Hopefully this isn't to much of a newbie question that is easily answered somewhere else but I have seen anything on it. I'm trying to attach a shed roof to a gable. I have a feeling this is something similar to a porch roof, but after messing with it for a few hours I cant figure it out. 

This is what I'm go

Here is where I'm at. 

I've attached my plan if that helps!
      I'm using x12 

Thanks!
      -Cam
      Piper_3rd Round 2_4_2021.plan
    • By decorators3
      Hi 

Normally I don't have too many issues with roofs unless they are complicated.  This one looks simple .. but I can't seem to get the straight across area for the roof indent. I can have teh roof with gable but not as it looks in the picture--- as you can see by the one with the X this is what I  end up with and the other is how it should look.. Any suggestions.. I tried adding another floor and reducing the height but then the roof was too high

You're imput is always welcome

Thanks
      Levina

• By StructEng58
      All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
      Brundage.zip
    • By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      I have been learning a lot about building porches, both manually and using Railings.
      I used a Room Divider to make the concrete pad. Then a molding profile to add 4" around it. 
      I made a 1x1 sq profile and made my beam, and added in my columns.
      I built several porches trying different roofs, but end up with no gable end wall. 
      I tried added an exterior wall and making it an attic wall, which added some frieze boards, but the wall just covered my porch from concrete up.
      Not finding much on videos for porches.
      Thank you