Moving From Pc To Mac

SusanC

Hi,

Our office has been on Macs with Bootcamp for 4 years now.  We are ready to move to the Mac version of X6.  Couple of questions:

1.  We will still have one PC.  Will we run into any issues, other than font differences, if we work between the Macs and the PC?

2.  When switching from the PC to the Mac version of X6, what is the best way to transfer files?  We work with Sugar Sync.  I assume we could download them onto the Mac version via Sugar Sync?

Thanks,

Susan

Hi,

Our office has been on Macs with Bootcamp for 4 years now.  We are ready to move to the Mac version of X6.  Couple of questions:

1.  We will still have one PC.  Will we run into any issues, other than font differences, if we work between the Macs and the PC?

2.  When switching from the PC to the Mac version of X6, what is the best way to transfer files?  We work with Sugar Sync.  I assume we could download them onto the Mac version via Sugar Sync?

Thanks,

Susan

1 - I haven't ran into any major issues.  Just some small ones...mainly font issues as you mentioned.

2 - Don't know much about "Sugar Sync", but I have all my files on my OneDrive (you can use Dropbox or Google Drive as other options) and access them via my PC at work and my Mac at home.  That way you do not have to transfer files back and forth.  The cloud service does it automatically.  I would recommend it to anyone working on files from different computers.

Yes,  a very big problem with the MAC.  Your pdf files are typically 80 meg,  very hard to email.  I have resorted to drawing on the MAC and printing on PC.  IOW,  keep a PC handy.

Well,  if you have been on a MAC,  how do you print your plans?

There is a learning curve moving to Mac if you aren't really familiar with how Macs work. Mostly, this is easy.

Files will just work. Copy them over however you want and open them on the Mac. Going back to Windows is just as easy. Use a thumb drive, network, or any other software that allows you to move them over to the Mac.

Windows Meta Files won't draw on Mac so if you have any of those try to convert them to PDF or PNG.

PDFs on Mac bloat somewhat depending on how much text you have in them. While this is a big deal for Scott, it doesn't seem to be a major problem for everyone. We are working toward a long term solution for this, but it is still a ways out.

Font compatibility is mainly no different than going from one Windows machine to another. Just make sure the fonts you are using are installed on all the systems you are running Chief on.

As with any new release there are always a few glitches to work through, but at this point we are very stable on both Windows and Mac. There are small differences in the minor glitches we are seeing on the two platforms. As we can we are addressing these. Normally if we see a crash on Mac there is a corresponding crash on Windows. In some cases we found crashes on Mac that were very rare crashes in X5 on Windows so that has led to some stability improvements on both platforms.

Performance differences between platforms are somewhat variable. In some cases Mac is faster in others it is slower. Overall, they are close.