Alternate behavior with multiple copy command??

Richard_Morrison

It seems that alternate behavior (i.e. using the right mouse button) in the Multiple Copy only does an array. In other words, if you hit multiple copy for a selected object and drag with the right button, you first get the primary offset, then when you let go, it starts copying with the secondary (alternate) offset. It works the same way for multiple copying of framing members. According to Tech Support, this is the way it's SUPPOSED to work.

This is just crazy. Who is copying arrays of floor joists, rafters, or studs? (Or arrays of anything at all?)

My recollection with earlier versions (at least at some point in the past) is that you could set up rafters, say, with 24" as the primary offset and 16" as the secondary offset, so that multiple copying with the left mouse button would get copies at 24" and the right mouse button would get copies at 16". What the hell has happened to this? Has my memory gone awry? (Wait, don't answer that!)

I am with Richard on this one.  I would like to see the primary be set for the left mouse button and the alternate on the right mouse button.  On my houses, I am running trusses at 24" and 12" oc and joists at 19.2 and 16" oc.  this would be nice to have instead of constantly having to change the spacing on the primary each time.

I can see some validity for both arguments.  Definitely for General Objects the current method makes sense.

In some cases I can even see it making sense for joists and beams but I don't think it makes any sense for studs.

OTOH, it might be nice to have the option to have the third alternative but it's easy enough to just select (or group select) and change the muticopy interval for those cases where a different spacing is needed.