Edit Handle Size arbitrarily going to -0-

Cheryl_C_Crane

Is anyone else experiencing Edit Handle Size arbitrarily going to -0-? I did a search on the topic and saw that there was an instance of X6 downloaded with the setting of -0-.

But, I am experiencing the edit handle go to 1 and to zero while working. I can reset it, but in a few min it starts being squirrely and changes to 1 or zero again.

Any thoughts?

That is really odd and not something I've ever heard of. I can't even speculate as to what might be the cause. I would suggest getting with our support team to see if we can find out how to reproduce the issue.

Handle sizes stay a constant size on screen regardless of zoom.

That is really odd and not something I've ever heard of. I can't even speculate as to what might be the cause. I would suggest getting with our support team to see if we can find out how to reproduce the issue.

Handle sizes stay a constant size on screen regardless of zoom.

Yes they do, it just looks smaller to me when zooming out.

I will send the plan to tech support when I get a few this evening. It  doesn't have anything to do with zooming in/out. The reset appears in the dbx.

It is a very large file with many terrain contour splines. the first time it happened, it was on a terrain spline. I didn't think much of it. just went to the dbx and put in 8. All good. But, then it continued to do the same with doors. And, since patience isn't my strong suit, about the 5th time, I was over it.

• 5 months later...

I have had similar issues with edit handles arbitrarily resizing (in Preferences) for some time, and tech support is fully aware of it. I was told to change a Windows display setting (dpi), which has made the situation somewhat more tolerable, but it has yet to be fully resolved. In my case, opening Preferences and going to the Edit tab and then closing Preferences caused the handles to resize as soon as an object was selected in the plan. They would then continue to resize (down) one click/selection at a time until they were no more.

Thanks MickeyToo, You described the same issues I am having. Really annoying.. I also have two displays. It would be interesting to see if that is a factor or what else triggers it. Changing screen resolution didn't help me. I assume Cheryl sent to tech support? Cheryl if you have any news, we'd be glad to hear...

Very annoying. No handles, no Chief.

Go to Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization then click on Display (on the right side) and make sure your screen is set to one of the three presets (100%, 125% or 150%). I had mine set to a custom setting (135%) and it seems that Chief could not handle that. As I said earlier, the problem is not as acute -- the handles get smaller, but they don't completely disappear. I sincerely hope there will be a permanent fix included in the next update. Btw, I am running Windows 7 Professional.

Brian, what seems to trigger unwanted resizing of the edit handles in my case is accessing Preferences - Edit. I just tried to reset the handles to five (from six), for example, and when I closed Preferences, made a selection in plan and went back to Preferences the handle size was four. It will eventually go to three (if I repeat the steps), but no lower now that I changed the Windows display setting mentioned earlier. For some reason six seems to be a stable setting; even if I access Preferences - Edit, that setting does not change - for the moment, at least.

MickeyToo & Brian, I did a little experiment with MickeyToo's suggestion of the trigger. MickeyToo is Spot On.

Here's what I found:

Edit Handles seem to be stable if > = 5 

You can't have an Edit Handle = 4, it gets set to 3

THIS CURIOUS BEHAVIOR OF DIMINISHING THE EDIT HANDLE IS TRIGGERED BY ACCESSING PREFERENCES - EDIT (Exactly as MickeyToo discovered) And it WILL GO TO -0-!

I suppose that the work around is to ALWAYS reset the Handles to 4 every time you access Preferences.

This is if: 1. you have CA X6 to OPEN DIALOGS TO LAST PANEL VISITED

2. You (like me) like your Edit Handles to be < 5.

So, it wasn't the new rev that had 'fixed' my original problem. It was that I had not reset my PREFERENCES!  

BTW; I set the plan to tech support months ago. Thanks to MickeyToo's discovery, they don't need a plan any more.

post-72-0-72911100-1416325229_thumb.png

post-72-0-29886900-1416325256_thumb.png

post-72-0-66978800-1416325269_thumb.png

post-72-0-27930300-1416325413_thumb.png

post-72-0-54397300-1416325428_thumb.png

Thank you both, Cheryl - Did you have hear anything from tech support?, or did they tell you what you just stated.

I agree with both your findings, however, unfortunately I never changed any of the settings to begin with to trigger this issue. I am assuming neither did you. I am officially retiring from this topic, there are some many other things that I would like Chief to improve on. As long as the edit handles stay visible and large enough to click on - I'm in the zen zone...  ;)