Ray Trace Dark Ceilings.

BigKahuna

I love the ability to do these nice ray traces with latest version and a newer laptop. The old one for some reason took forever ( hours) while new one does it in 5-20 minutes. 

The only issue I have is the dark ceilings. I have the lightened ceiling  box checked. Is there any other tricks ?   In this project I also had light wood ceilings. Its a bit frustrating not to be able to highlight it.

I have attached photos.

Thanks for any suggestions

post-686-0-86810100-1400340028_thumb.jpg

post-686-0-60315100-1400340040_thumb.jpg

post-686-0-93262500-1400340054_thumb.jpg

post-686-0-17872800-1400340082_thumb.jpg

post-686-0-98527500-1400340115_thumb.jpg

Lots of prior threads on this ... do a search and you'll see all sorts of suggestions.

What immediately comes to my mind are:

1.  Make your ceiling a little bit emissive.

2.  Turn up your interior ambient light setting.

3.  Do a search and see what the experts recommended.

Nelson:

I really like the nice look to your range top and hood.  I always struggle with SS appliances and have never been happy with the results I get.  What material are you using there and what setting/properties did you use for your view(s)?  Thanks.

PS:  I think everyone who starts doing ray traces is unhappy with the OTB dark ceilings. 

Curt,  Thanks  I will try doing some searches. I had a feeling it wasn't a quick fix but we shall see.  I haven't done much playing with any settings just do a factory setting one and go So I will have to investigate more.

I too have been disappointed in the stainless look and haven't found a good answer in my searches so I used Brushed Bronze from the metals.  The curved surface helps. Not as sure it does as good on flat surfaces as it does on curved ones though. you also have to actually change the material not paint it .

Nelson:

I really like the nice look to your range top and hood.  I always struggle with SS appliances and have never been happy with the results I get.  What material are you using there and what setting/properties did you use for your view(s)?  Thanks.

PS:  I think everyone who starts doing ray traces is unhappy with the OTB dark ceilings. 

Curt, you might want to check out this thread from

the new HomeTalk forum. Kat has supplied some 

very nice materials for SS appliances.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/15-kitchen-appliances/

• 9 months later...

You can lighten up the ceilings in raytrace by adding lights while in plan view (add on top of your light fixtures) from the 3D drop down menu > Lighting > Add lights.   It sounds stupid but I guarantee you it brightens the ceiling. I'll try to attach an image of  2 renderings done in raytrace: one with no added lights, just the light fixtures data turned on and the other with added lights on top of the light fixtures data turned off.  The one with the added lights is brighter in Raytrace even the light data being off.  The other image is a Raytrace,   but with all the light data turned on and the added lights from the 3D menu. 

post-3119-0-95875700-1424927804_thumb.jpg

post-3119-0-13378100-1424927898_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...