Auto Detail - Specify default layer?

BBTYLER

Hello all, does anyone know where to change the defualts for auto detail? I want to force this to always use a specific layer regardless of the 'Current CAD Layer.'

Any help would be much appreciated.

X6

I'm w/ you, BBTYLER.

I preferred how it always worked 'til X6. DEFAULT CAD LAYER. I really want the auto-detail CAD stuff to have a layer all its own so I can easily isolate & edit.

Now I have to remember to change the current CAD layer before I auto-detail. It would be nice if we could assign a default layer for auto-detailing to go on, regardless of the Anno Set current CAD layer.

• Upvote 1

Jim,

Just go into the Annotation Defaults and change the Section View Annoset to use whatever Layer you want as the Default CAD Layer.  Whenever a Section View is selected, that's the Annoset that should be activated automatically.  So when you create an Auto Detail, it should be on that Layer.

I want auto-detailing on a separate layer from anything else- all by itself.

& I want to be able to draw other CAD stuff on the current CAD layer.

& I want to be able to do that w/out any extra clicks, however my anno sets are setup.

.........like it used to work.

Can you give me all that w/ the way Chief works currently?

• Upvote 1

Jim,

I went back to X5 and it seems that CAD, Default was the result there as well.  Can you verify that it was different before X6?

ps:  I'm finding that my Sections are not automatically selecting the correct Annoset and Layerset either.

In X5 I press auto detail, boom, up pops the insulation, wall hatching, etc. All of this information is created on the layer 'CAD, Defaults’. Note that the current CAD Layer for my plan (in section view set is Default CAD, Layer). In X6 everything for auto detail is created on the 'Active Layer' that being Default CAD, Layer. I know it is merely 6 or 7 more clicks to change it to CAD, Default and then back to Default CAD, Layer and that may not sound like much, but it is more than the old ‘ single click’. 

The main reason I want this is, when on its own layer I can simply turn it off, then cad block my entire section and delete the old auto detail, and then press auto detail. Upon regeneration I unblock everything and move text/arrows accordingly. Otherwise I deal with arrows snapping to and from one side of the page to the other or getting deleted in various locations. I could go on for days about the problems that arise but have become rather accustomed to the work around I have developed.

Interesting Joe. from Chief's OOB template/profile plan for X5, auto-detailing goes on the CAD, Default layer, no matter what layer set or anno set is active.

From my X5 profile plan, auto-detailing goes on the DEFAULT CAD LAYER, no matter what. The CAD, Default layer is still present in my profile, but Chief doesn't use it.

Hmmmm.......

OK, I did a bit more study of the differences.

1. In X5, the Current CAD Layer is controlled by the Layer Set - which is the Section View Layer Set. So by having the Current CAD Layer be CAD-DETAILS you get that for your Auto Details.

2. In X6, the Current CAD Layer is controlled by the Layer Set. However, creating a Section doesn't automatically select an Annoset - it just selects the Layer Set. That means that you would had to have either changed the Current CAD Layer or selected an Annoset which changed the Current CAD Layer.

It would seem that Chief should have an Anno Set for Section Views and that creating a Section should switch to that Anno Set (letting the Annoset activate the Layer Set).

Dave, Doug, & Brian - This is an implementation BUG in X6. We lost a feature by moving control of the Current CAD Layer to the Annoset. 

It can be fixed simply by adding a Section View Annoset  which would automatically be activated when a Section was created.  Of course, that would have to be done in programming because there's no way for us to specify what Annoset is activated per view.

Joe,

I don't get that behavior.

Using Chief's OOB template/profile plan, I can change the Current CAD Layer of the layer set that sections open in (Defaults/Layer Sets/Cross Sections/Section View Set/Current CAD Layer)), & auto-detailing still goes on the CAD, Default layer. I have not been able to create a situation where auto-detailing goes on any other layer.

Have you been able to do that?

post-120-0-01019000-1400189527_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-14430900-1400189536_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Joe,

I don't get that behavior.

Using Chief's OOB template/profile plan, I can change the Current CAD Layer of the layer set that sections open in (Defaults/Layer Sets/Cross Sections/Section View Set/Current CAD Layer)), & auto-detailing still goes on the CAD, Default layer. I have not been able to create a situation where auto-detailing goes on any other layer.

Have you been able to do that?

Jim,

Are you trying this in X5 or X6?

If in X5, you would have to make that change in the Defaults for the Section View Layerset  - and then create a new section.  That new section should have the prescribed CAD Layer.

In X6 it simply won't work except by selecting an Annoset with that CAD Layer (or manually changing the Current CAD Layer) - again, before creating the Section View.

Jim,

Post your exact sequence.

You might need to actually save the Plan before making the section. Better yet, open the Template directly, make those changes and save the Template. Then when you open a New Plan, it should work.

Basically I don't think the Defaults are updated until the Plan is saved.

Nuts, now I can't get it to work either.

• Upvote 1

I think you two may be talking about different versions.

It appears that Jim is using X5 , where the current cad layer displayed in the Layer Display dbx was not tied to that Layer Set - we were able to set the current cad layer in that dbx, but the current cad layer was not tied to that layer set. 

In X6, the auto detailing goes on the current cad layer, which can be any layer chosen before auto detailing. 

The Current Cad Layer for that annoset is used unless changed manually, in which case the annoset is changed to "Using Active Defaults" in lieu of the chosen or default annoset. 

• Upvote 1

Glenn,

I was testing on X5 - trying to verify that Auto Detailing would use the Current CAD Layer as specified in the Section View Layerset.  I thought I had it working that way but couldn't duplicate it later.

In X6, I can define an Annoset to force the Current CAD Layer to function so that Section Views and derived Details are on the Layer that I want.