Hey All!

So, I rarely had to use terrain modification tools (therefore never bothered to learn them :( ), seeing as most customers had flat landscapes.  So in this situation, the plan is attached, I have the following issue:

right below the motor court, leading to the summer 'pool house', there should be a lowered terrain; the idea is that when owners leave the spa from the underground floor, they walk out into a nice garden type pit (landscapers will make it beautiful), and can walk up the stairs to the bbq pool house, also in this pit there will be tanning beds and couches to relax in the summers.

I'd like to hear some suggestions as to how I can modify the terrain in a way that all windows of the underground spa are visible, and work with that area to create stairs and lounge zone.  

If there is a video tutorial then please point me to it, any help will be greatly appreciated!!

frunze6.plan

HumbleChief!

Thank you so so much for the quick reply! I'll definitely give this tutorial a look and hope it'll work out, thanks for the help again.  Truly love how in chief so many are willing to help each other!

So yeah the video helped in many ways, yet regardless of how I play around with the values and expand or resize the elevation areas, I still get 2 issues:

1)  The sauna window is always covered by terrain, regardless of what I do (whilst the spa doors are open)

2)  The terrain literally grows into the SPA area....

Any suggestions? Maybe the guy from the video could take a look at it?

Attaching a view of what is happening.

post-4006-0-80885700-1465838770_thumb.jpg

I looked at your model and unfortunately the model is really large and slow on my system and I just don't have the time to try and repair things. One thing to try is placing your terrain on the second floor instead of the third. That won't fix it because it shouldn't matter where your terrain region is but it might get you closer. Also use your floor heights to position the elevation regions. There aren't any short cuts you just have to muscle through it till you get things figured out.

I've been fighting terrain set up like crazy....that is until I saw this video Larry. I had never seen this method used and it looks so simply...I'll be having a go at this tomorrow in the office...Thanks for doing the video!!!

@Larry (humblechief), sorry didn't realize you are one and the same; again thanks for the tip, yeah not sure why it threw the terrain on the 3rd instead of the 2nd but I'm working on it. You're right, gotta muscle through it and keep trying to get it right.  Sadly I know I made a few mistakes with the building itself because I was in a hurry to give a demonstration of the potential outcome, so soon enough I'll take the time and build it back up from the beginning and make sure everything is right this time  (hopefully the terrain will play again then).

@Chopsaw:  I checked the post, I'm going to check whether or not I have the same issue; sadly in that post for some reason the two pictures don't load at all for me, your screenshot does whilst the poster's photo's don't..

@Chopsaw: I checked the post, I'm going to check whether or not I have the same issue; sadly in that post for some reason the two pictures don't load at all for me, your screenshot does whilst the poster's photo's don't..

Yes as you may have noticed I urged Matt (new user Anna) to correct the post and share results but no response on that post but here are the results on next post that I found :https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9876-need-newel-at-top-of-stair/

p.s. I believe you will need the opposite setting to solve your problem.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    IndiaCADWorks
    Newest Member
    IndiaCADWorks

• By TrimbachDesign
      Hello Chief friends,

I've been struggling and searching this topic but cannot seem to come up with the information that I am looking for. Basically, I have a sloping site and want to draw the uphill stemwall (top) 2'0" higher than the downhill wall. The floor system will ledger off the uphill wall, and the uphill stemwall top should finish about 2'0" higher than subfloor elevation. Wood wall framing will then be 2'0" shorter on this uphill side. Additionally, I'll be using some retaining walls extending off of the foundation to retain the up hill fill material. 

I was able to "drag up" the top of the stem walls on the uphill wall to gain this two feet of elevation. However, there are all sorts of issues with wall intersections that I cannot seem to clean up. I think that what I am after is forcing the taller wall to run through, but I can't seem to force that in my foundation drawing or 3d view. There has to be a better way... Also, now the subfloor and some trim is sticking through the stem wall. 

I'm running x12 on MacOSX. 

Appreciate any help you all can provide! 

Thanks,
      Austin

• By Doug-ib
      This is my first time trying to bring in data collected from GPS into chief arch. I have converted the CSV file into a txt doc but when i bring it into chief arch the land/terrain looks very off; there are tons of spikes/triangles on the area and I'm unsure how to make it "smooth". Also unlike other programs I've used when I click a point I don't get a description of the point, meaning i cant tell if I'm looking at a shot of the sidewalk or a portion of the driveway, im wondering if there is a more effective way to input this data or a way that will allow me to keep my codes/point descriptions that I set when i was in the field.

Any info/solutions on this topic would be appreciated.
      terrain.plan
    • By divreig
      I imported a Import a surveyor DWG file. I followed the instruction in the tutorial (Import a Surveyor DWG file for a Site Plan or Terrain Perimeter (chiefarchitect.com) . And got some strange spikes hills. I have tired cleaning up the elevation data but no luck. There is simply no elevation data in the area that is that tall, not sure what is generate this. Pleas see the attached pic and surveyor map. 
      17045-Topo.pdf

17045-Topo-C.dwg
      existing terrian2.plan
    • By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, is there a way to display the ceiling elevation (height) on plan view, as we typically show them on architectural drawings?
    • By rfantclt
      Fellow More-experienced CA users,

I have drawn as-built plans of a house for a renovation/addition project in CA v.12.  I recently received the final survey from the surveyor with property lines, major and minor contours, the building footprint, and other typical survey information.  I imported it from .dwg as a .plan file  with layers for terrain perimeter and terrain, and converted the terrain using the convert tool to make it 3D.  It shows up with terrain. Yay!  Now I'm not sure of the next steps:
      1. How do I bring the terrain into the building.plan?
      2. How do I set it in place - using a Place Point or Point Marker at a corner of the house?
      3. The survey elevations are in the 650' range so how what do I do to place the terrain relative to my house (1st floor 0.0)?  This house has a walk out basement, if that matters.
      4. I copied in a 2D version of the survey to use in plan view (on layer CAD, AS-BUILT SURVEY).  When I send it to layout, the house floor plans are obscured and the secondary contours didn't come in - admittedly, this is a previous version of my survey attempt and I've since remapped the survey layers.

I have also attached the house plan, if that helps.

Thanks for recommendations from this group, as I've watched numerous videos and couldn't find any that addressed this process.

Rebecca
      CA Premier X12

Zoutewelle FINAL SURVEY.plan
      Muhs Existing.plan