This is a selection of new door knobs for interior and exterior doors. I did not create these, just imported from Sketchup and adjusted for Chief.

They all work with a standard Up from Bottom setting of 36".

The In from Side setting may have to be adjusted for your door type.

See attached thumbnails for previews!

doorknobs.zip

post-210-0-14179900-1399295459_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-66079400-1399295470_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-72325700-1399295478_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

This is a selection of new door knobs for interior and exterior doors. I did not create these, just imported from Sketchup and adjusted for Chief.

They all work with a standard Up from Bottom setting of 36".

The In from Side setting may have to be adjusted for your door type.

See attached thumbnails for previews!

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Care is needed when importing handles and suchlike to use as hardware, and you will usually need to offset the axis of a handle from the default position of the x and y axis.

Some of the handles  seem to be right poly horrors, I measured one at more than 16 000 faces. Rule of thumb: most of the stuff on Sketchup is unusable dross.

you will usually need to offset the axis of a handle from the default position of the x and y axis.

I thought I positioned them all properly. I'm sorry, which ones were not positioned properly so I can fix them?

Some of the handles  seem to be right poly horrors, I measured one at more than 16 000 faces

Doesn't seem to slow anything down for me. Does this typically cause problems for people?

Rule of thumb: most of the stuff on Sketchup is unusable dross.

Sorry, I have found these to be quite usable. Like most of the stuff I decide to get from the Sketchup 3D Warehouse. If it doesn't, I don't keep them in my library.

Sounds like someone has a bad case of looking gift horses in their mouths...

• Upvote 1

This picture shows what happens when an imported handle is imported without regard to the origins. The handle on the outside one is not in-line with  the (Chief default) door knob.

Too many polygons will eventually affect the program and make it more difficult to manipulate the model in 3d, it will make rendering difficult and perhaps impossible. One such handle will not do it, but if you have many of these they can add up, especially in a real model where they is plenty going on. You will notice a lot of Chief objects are a bit lumpy, primative even, this is because the Chief guys try and keep the polys low.

I stand by my Sketchup slur, It is true there are many fine models to be found. But I do feel many contributors have little idea of how to control the size of a model, Default curve segments abound, Tiny radii wack up the face count,  and many models just end up being too big, at least for Chief. If you want to have a better look at a model try turning on the hidden geometry.

I'm looking forward to getting my Horse.

post-341-0-52536600-1399385696_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This picture shows what happens when an imported handle is imported without regard to the origins.

If I had not regarded the origins, that handle would have been upside down and three feet off the door. I adjusted the origins using visual approximation.

The handle on the outside one is not in-line with  the (Chief default) door knob.

Okay, that is a fair statement. But even you have got to admit it's pretty close. Visual approximation and all... Just adjust the Up from Bottom setting. Or use that handle's interior counterpart for the other side; they line up perfectly. Or don't use them at all.

You will notice a lot of Chief objects are a bit lumpy, primative even...

This is precicsely why I searched for door handles on Sketchup in the first place. It's why I search for anything on Sketchup.

High face count symbols can and will make a huge difference in the plan especially if there is many of then in the plan. You really have to watch out for millwork. Often you won't see much of a slow down in the render views but you will in an elevation or when an elevation is sent to the layout

• 2 weeks later...