upgrade question - is anyone using Vista with 6.0?

wkshank

I am using Chief 10 still, on an ancient XP machine (it still works!).  But - time to upgrade.

My somewhat agey Vista (SP2) machine meets all the posted system requirements and then some, except that the processor is 2.33 (intel duo), not 2.4 as the site suggests.

What think you, geekSquad types?  Do I need to also get a new computer??  HATE to.  This one works fine for everything else I do, including PhotoShop.

THANKS for all advice.

sorry, your title says ver 6, yet the post says ver 10 ???

while some were able to get ver 9.5 to run on Vista - it was very chancy

even if ran it probably didn't run well

so I seriously doubt if ver 6 would run on Vista

Lew

yes, latest Chief Premier is X6

your title was confusing

while X6 will run on Vista it would perform better on Win 7 or Win 8

with a lower/slower/older cpu ???

try it - then buy a new PC if it doesn't perform well

Lew

What do you need it to do? If you want to be productive with presentation drawings, get a new computer. If you want it to be fast and be able to handle large files for con docs, get a new computer. X6 is very resource intensive and so unless you want it to bog down, get a new computer. If you only produce one set of drawings a year, try the Vista set up.

A 2.3 GHz core 2 duo is at the low end of what I would consider usable. I keep pushing to drop the GHz requirement on the web site because it isn't helpful. For example a 1.7 GHz laptop with turbo boost is actually a lot faster than it sounds. I have a 1.7 GHz i5 MacBook Air which runs Chief quite nicely.

I would download the trial version and see how it performs on your hardware. If it is fast enough for you, then you don't need to upgrade your hardware.

Thanks for the advice -- sorry about the post title... should have said x6.  I use the program pretty heavily and do render for 3Ds for clients, so it sounds like two computers will bite the dust, and mama gets a brand new one.  It's only money...  sigh.