DakotaContractor

Having Issues Trying To Create An Auto Cad Cross Section

I am trying to create a CAD cross section of the structure for the plan drawings. I was able to locate the how-to article in the knowledge base of how to supposedly do this, however, when I do a "backflipped cross section I get a blank screen even with every layer turned on. And when I do a regular cross section my foundation and footings don't show up (even with layer turned on). Attached an example of what I'm essentially trying to create (courtesy of CA's knowledge base). As well as the closest I've gotten my cross-section view to appear to, which also shows the footing/foundation issue I'm describing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

post-5277-0-41879600-1455559285_thumb.jpg

post-5277-0-35024200-1455559382_thumb.jpg

Whenever I have things that don't want to show up, I usually try switching to an expendable layerset, selecting all, checking "display" and changing the color for all layers to black. By doing this you can narrow the problem down.

Did you turn on all the foundation items, like, footings foundation walls, slabs, in that camera view. ?

Post the plan, I'm sure it just a setting somewhere

Barret,

Your problem is that your layers are not turned on in your Section View layer set.  I think you're turning the layers on in your plan view, but the plan view and camera views are using different layer sets.

Michael are you referring to this? If so they are on. If this isn't what you're referring to then I'm lost as to what layer set you're referencing  :(

post-5277-0-45744200-1455567192_thumb.jpg

AHA! I couldn't find the specific place you screen shot Alan, with the red + signs etc. But it got me exploring further into buttons I'd never even clicked or noticed before LOL. I clicked Layer Set Control by way of the little gear icon at the bottom of the Active Layer Display Options. Scrolled down to Walls, Foundation, box checked, and TADA! Thanks guys!

Now to get closer to the representation I attached in my OP do I just hide the interior walls and outside foundation wall so they don't show in the cross section?

post-5277-0-72243600-1455568220_thumb.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Talal1975
    Newest Member
    Talal1975

• By decorators3
      I am trying to build a roof .. here are my issues
      1. the auto build is out of wack completely as you can see in the image
      2. the partially built manual roof has 2 gable roofs- one on the left side of the house - one on the other side -But even though they are both 8 pitch they are of different heights (image)
      3. the full over view shows the ceilings..(image)

My issue is how do I build a roof over the angled front of the house .  I have read the tutorials - watched the videos-I would like to have 3 gables (a) left   - (b) middle (angled wall) and (c) right over the garage..

The house has main level 9' and 2nd level 9' with open below for great room - foundation is also full 9' 

I have been working on this for a few days but haven't been able to complete it properly- is it because of the shape of the house??

..welcome any suggestions

THANKS ...I'M TRYING TO FOLLOW ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS 
      ... is it possible that these roof points are creating a problem.  I don't   know how to delete them.  I went into Preferences then architectural  and unchecked AUTOMATICALLY PLACE ROOF INTERSECTION POINTS...BUT STILL THERE. i have removed these temporary points.. i've been working on this roof problem for so long I am missing things..sorryy

wrong pic for roof points

Levina
      caX11

• By Renerabbitt
      Open to new work. I've been working remotely for clients for years and can easily navigate the issues that present themselves from remote work. I have plenty of references and videos demonstrating my various services. The following images are snippets from my site at www.RabbittDesign.net

I offer training-while-drafting services in Chief Architect as well as training in Sketchup, Thea Render, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Procreate.
      I tend to cater to experienced designers and drafters in Chief Architect, many of which benefit from and are quite pleased with anno/layer sets, library items, toolbars, and a more cohesive folder structure and .plan and .layout files. 
      A few hours of my service may cut hours off of every project you have going forward.
      Feel free to check out my YouTube channel dedicated to all things drafting, designing, modeling and rendering in my signature below.
      Take a look at some of my recent design work in the Gallery
      Also, take a look at the extensive Free Content Thread and continued free content YouTube Series:

• By LeeDrafter
      Hi All,
      I would like to control the display of CAD line length and angle labels by layer in addition to via the dbx. Is there a way to do this? I know how to use the dbx below under display options, but I have a file with a bunch of different polylines and I would like to be able to turn on and off the labels without opening a dbx for each one. I would also like to display labels with some layer sets and not others for layout views. Thanks for any suggestions!

• By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By pgjacob
      Hi All
      I am wondering if you can create a new material from polylines.  I have made many new materials from images.  But in this instance I would like to make a series of metal circles to use to "paint" a hemi-sphere.  I could find an image to use to do this, but I want the circles to actually have real holes so light can shine through them.  I have attached an example of this for a light.  I am able to create a series of holes using a circle and the 3D molding polyline, multiple copy them and add to the library, but material is not an option.  This may not be possible...
      thanks
      melissa