Ray Trace And Spotty Light Specs

stager386

Hello.  Trying to create Raytrace and I usually have no problems with it.  I am doing this with a living room that has several lamps and I assume it's my settings for the lights that is causing the problem.  But I have tried so many combinations and nothing is fixing the problem.  Any ideas?  Here is what I get with a 30 minute Raytrace. 

post-4498-0-70675000-1453472668_thumb.jpg

I find that with more lights, it is important to run the raytrace by "passes" and not "time". Not sure of your settings, but from what I see, it looks like the spes are a result of the photon mapping option checked. This is usually ok if you let it run long enough. Depending on your lighting scheme and how they're set up coupled with your computer hardware, this could take a considerable amount of time. Also a time factor is your image size. Try a smaller size, first, to speed up the ray trace. This way you can experiment with different settings and see the result much quicker between passes.

As Mike suggests, you can turn off photon mapping to eliminate this or run more passes, might take 50 or more to clean things up. If you want the look that photon mapping provides with less speckles you can try reducing down the intensity of your lights, turning lights off or decreasing the diffusion on some of the materials. From the pic it looks like the floor standing lamp by the wall pics is way too bright. Even if your overall scene appears on the dark side you can always use the intensity, softness and brightness controls to correct for this.

Graham

Just an added note. From my experimentation the speckels/grains appear to be somewhat related to the how light is treated as it passes through another material such as a window or lamp shade. Point lights and sunlight are prime examples. If you turn off the point lights or sunlight and the speckles/grains disappear or significantly reduce then this is where the main issue is. If the lighting is needed then you can either reduce the light intensity or adjust the lamp shade or glass properties to minimize this effect. Increasing transparency or reducing diffusion or both can help.

Graham