ChiefBe

Brick Wall Openings Using Post And Beams

Hello 

I am trying to open multiple brick walls with large openings supported by posts and beams. The exterior wall will then have multiple adjacent windows, all connected to each other.

However I can't manage to do this with Chief Architect. 

When using a window, he doesn't allow me to continue the window, passing the perpendicular wall.

I tried to use posts and beams, however I can't find a way to say that the upper wall is carried by that post/beam and there's no need to keep a small part of wall to carry everything. 

As pictures say a lot more than words, on the left what I can do, and on the right I would like to do:

Chief Architect 3D-2015-12-05-15-00-39.png

Any advice on forcing ChiefArchitect to draw windows past the perpendicular wall is definitely welcome ! 

Thanks 

post-8853-0-50166400-1449325451_thumb.png

.......As pictures say a lot more than words, on the left what I can do, and on the right I would like to do:

Chief Architect 3D-2015-12-05-15-00-39.png

Any advice on forcing ChiefArchitect to draw windows past the perpendicular wall is definitely welcome ! 

Thanks 

I wonder if X8 will fix this for you.

This is pretty easy.  Just put the windows in before connecting the intersecting walls.  You will have to make sure that the intersecting walls at the corner window are different (Wall Type or Layer) so that they don't connect as one wall when brought into contact.

Thank you very much Joe,

This indeed solved the outside-window problem. Now the windows fit correctly, that's great.

There's still one quirck remaining.

To make the openings in the wall I use a door-opening. (that's how I understood I should do it).

However the door opening cannot reach the complete end of the wall. There's still a small part of the wall remaining. (all framing has been disabled btw)

Chief Architect 3D-2015-12-06-07-45-29.png

post-8853-0-49083700-1449384765_thumb.png

Try the "Edit Wall Layer Intersections" tool.

Try the "Edit Wall Layer Intersections" tool.

Thanks for the advice, I just tried it now, but can't get it do something good. (tried on my both places with the same issue)

Why do you have a wall running into a window?

Why do you have a wall running into a window?

Some inside and outside walls are being opened (and carried by posts + beams) to create additional space and light inside the room. 

But then again, the why shouldn't really matter, more the how ;-)

Thanks for the feedback though.