Drop in Tub Surround

Joe_Carrick

If you want a monolithic Tub Surround (sides and top all the same material), you can just place a thick Custom Countertop that sits on the floor.  You don't need a Cabinet.  

Joe,  the drop in tubs are a mystery to me.  I hear what you are saying,  however,  I just tried to put in DROP IN TUBS in both countertops and cabinets bases,  neither worked well.  It seems to me at one time using a DROP IN TUB in a base cabinet worked,   but the problem with this is the base is never a nice simple rectangle.  I use a psolid with hole to create the tub surround.  Works good,  but would be better if I  could use a countertop and drop in the  tub whereby the HOLE will be created auto.

So the question is,  what tubs are you using to drop into a  custom countertop that will then create the auto hole for tub?

Can you post a  quick  plan showing a tub dropped into a custom countertop?

OK Scott,

Here's a Plan.  I had to place this particular tub free standing and edit it to "Insert in Countertop".  Then I just moved it into the 20 1/2" thick Countertop.

I set the Countertop thickness as 20.5" because the tub is 21" tall.

That is great,  thank Joe.  I got it now.  The key is to change the symbol options to INSERT IN COUNTERTOP.

You may need to create a Rectangular Slab with a hole in it to match your Tub.  That needs to be a part of the symbol and it needs to be identified as "Countertop".  Chief always cuts a rectangular hole in the countertop matching the overal size of the symbol.  It uses the material name "Countertop" so that it matches the Countertop material.

Scott,

That's the hole in the "Slab" which should be slightly smaller than the Tub.

Then it depends on the Top of the Countertop and the Height of the Tub being equivalent. 

Chief makes the "Slab" height match the "Countertop" height.  These things can be adjusted in the dbx for each object.  This is the same thing that happens with oval sinks.

It should also be noted that if there's a Base Cabinet (0 height and 0 toe-kick height) then the Symbol will automatically match that but you have to get the countertop thickness set to match the overall cabinet height.  That's just another way of getting to about the same place.

• 8 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was directed here from a later, similar one. I am also having trouble with my tub cutting a rectangular hole in the countertop. I've tried matcing cabinet and/or countertop heights to the tub height but without success. Would someone walk me through the process?

Plan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z2MkbMRJtGiBEEGSICXOcaQm_KcTKH_R/view?usp=drive_link

KyNVhql[1].png