Multiple Style and material roofing...

Designer1

Currently Im working on a townhouse project that includes four townhomes.  I want to have four different architecture styles for each townhome, similar to old style row homes in the east coast.  How is it possible in chief to accomplish four different roof pitches ie:ones flat (modern), ones at about 4 in 12 for Spanish style and the English and French styles are both around 8 in 12.  Im finding it very challenging to be able to get different roof materials, tile and shingle etc and different pitches unless I click on each individual roof plane.  I noticed coupling up the two 8 in 12 roofs then having the modern flat then the Spanish roof at the end seems best but the roof materials etc are an issue. 

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Different roof pitches and materials aren't a problem. You can control each roof plane individually, both for pitch and material. Reading the Reference Manual topics on roofs is a good place to start, especially the sections on Automatic vs Manual Roofs. Be aware of the Auto Rebuild Roofs checkbox in the Build Roof dialog box.

Im finding it very challenging to be able to get different roof materials, tile and shingle etc and different pitches unless I click on each individual roof plane.  

Designer1, you will need to click on each roof plane for materials, and you'll probably want to make other small adjustments there. As you know, you can describe the pitch in the wall dbx.

Hope that you'll post a pix in the Gallery section when completed!

Hi thanks for all the replys.  Shane I don't have a full product plan to show Im working on the most challenging part first for the schematic design and roofing is where Im stuck at. 

Cheryl and Robert, I guess the challenge is when you have four units, most the time the roof planes formulate as one and then the individual roof planes cant be easily divided with the dividing tool.  I guess this is good Im working on this project because I never have had to be so creative with different roof planes, materials and the like and have them all work together all in one building and look good.

This exercise shows me that I need to spend more time with multiple materials and roof pitches/planes more because I don't have much experience in chief using these varieties within the same project.

Thanks again!

I have never tried this but "maybe" it would be possible to do the different roof styles and keep them in the plan by just putting each roof style on it own roof style layers.  You would need several different distinct and selectable layers for each roof material (roof planes, ridge caps, trim, gutters, labels, etc.) so that you can change each of components to its specific style layer.

Maybe you could build a roof style and then turn off all the plan layers except the roof layers, select and block them and put the block on its own layer, to be turned on when you want that specific roof displayed.

I wouldn't know if this would work until I tried it .... maybe it would be too confusing for Chief ... maybe not???  I think I would just rename the plan and change the roof (and anything else needing a change) as needed for each plan style.

I know there have been prior threads about altering materials in a plan to show different build options, but I don't recall what was said or recommended.  Might have been in the old forum.  It is a great question IMO for those who are designing for large developments/production builders where variations in the design of the same plan are offered to customers.