3D Numbers

Dave13

I have a commercial project I'm doing and I need to put the street numbers (690 in dark bronze finish) on the building for the front rendering. I've tried sketch up warehouse but can not find individual numbers in 3d and also tried converting a word document to a jpeg and importing it as a material. Any ideals on where to find the numbers or how to create them. Thanks

As Jared suggested these fully 3D numbers and letters work fine for limited constructs that require a 3D look but for simple street signage I would just create custom texture files in Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop to then be imported as custom materials and then assigned, "stretch to fit" to a properly sized 3D object (slab or soffit) to then emulate a stop sign, street signs, public notices etc. It really depends upon the exact construct as to what would then be used.

DJP

I did a project recently and did something simlar to what jon has shown, but I used TurboCAD Pro Platinum because I already have it and use it for many other things besides converting text to 3D solids.  I am not familiar with SU, so I do not really know the workflow.  In TC it requires a series of explodes and once you have a polyline you then extrude it to the depth you want.  What I also like about TC is that you can set a draft angle so the extrusion can have a slope to the sides of the object, in this case text.  Not always req'd, but nice in some situations.

Attached is a rendering of a model created in Chief with signs made in TC by the process mentioned above and then the signs were imported as symbols into Chief.  The Chief model was then rendered in Octane Render after a series of file conversions.

As jon mentioned, the nice thing about going to the extent of learning how to do something like this is that it opens the door to much more realistic and accurate models of real text fonts, in this case the actual font used by the sign company.

post-228-0-65401000-1431190667_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the info. Downloaded the Chief numbers/letters (don't know how I missed it when I looked). Informed the client that I obtained the numbers and first comment was great, now make them back lit. 

Thanks for the numbers Jon, have not had time to see which works best yet and I do not use photoshop or paint pro to try that method.