X16: where is the 3D molding tool?

GeneDavis

I need to make the cable railing and the top rail manually for this staircase to get the arrangement I want, and cannot seem to model either the 1/8" dia cables or the top handrail.  

I do an elevation view, use CAD to draw the line I want (have no idea where in the y axis it might be drawing, then term it a molding line, do the molding selection, and get nothing.

Tried the all-off layerset with only moldings turned on and see nothing.  What is the trick?  This all seems different from previous releases.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 115951.png

In one quick test, first drawing a cad line then converting to molding resulted in the molding line being located at '0' on the axis drawn. This is different, it used to 'land' on the surface facing the camera.

Better workflow is to skip the CAD line step. Just locate your molding in the library to activate the molding tools, then draw the molding. It will land on the surface it is drawn on.

Just now, robdyck said:

@GeneDavis

search 'round' in the library. There's plenty of options. Of course, you could just add that circle to the library and name it something convenient. And you could even preset the material!

For a cable railing, you could even generate a stacked molding with all your cables preset.

I think Robert missed that you drew a circle.  You can't add a circle directly to the library as a molding polyline.  You need to either draw 2 half circles (which will make it a polyline) or convert the circle into a polyline using the "convert curve" tool. 

5 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Try adding a CAD circle to the library

Yes, it needs to be a polyline. Even easier to use one that's already there, or just copy to your library and set the size and material.