Change an existing stair between "up" and "down" ?

Is there a way to switch an existing staircase that you've already got in a plan between being an "up" stair and a "down" stair? I thought I had seen a "change up/down" option for stairs at some point in the past, but I'm not sure. I've looked through the right click options and the stairs' dialog box and I'm not seeing anything that does this.

Thanks

As far as I know, you can't.  There is a "reverse direction" tool but that still won't change an  "up" stair into a "down" stair.  Most of the time you don't actually need a "down" stair though except when drawing stairs going down from your porch or deck on the outside.  Stairs usually work best when drawn going up to the next level.

I'm familiar with the intricacies of drawing & configuring stairs different ways in the software, been using this program since the old days when it required a physical usb hardware key. Hell it must be 20 years now at least. And in all that time this is the first situation I've had where this would have been really useful. I've got a heavily edited & customized set of steps and I need a down version of it in the plan and was just hoping not to have to spend the time doing all the same edits on a new set of steps to do it. Oh well. Not the end of the world I guess.

I've got a heavily edited & customized set of steps and I need a down version of it in the plan and was just hoping not to have to spend the time doing all the same edits on a new set of steps to do it. 

Do you need to keep the actual geometry or just the style?  If you are using X16, you should be able to save the stair into the library and then draw the new one going down using the alt-key and keep all of the style settings.

I'm still not convinced that you actually need a "down" stair.  There are a lot of ways you might be able to handle this without a down stair.  You might be able to just make a copy of the stair on the floor below and as long as it is in an open below room it will show as a "down" stair.  If you don't have a floor below, you can manually adjust the heights and then manually draw your own "down" arrow.  

• Upvote 1

I gave bad advice about drawing downward stairs.  It only works going down to terrain.

Not sure what you mean.  I think you can draw down stairs anywhere you want (although you might get a warning about doing it inside a building).  I drew the stairs holding the alt-key and manually created a hole in the floor for the picture below.

image.thumb.png.6ed4f409886727585dacdfc171d2b677.png

41 minutes ago, JBradleyConst said:

I'm familiar with the intricacies of drawing & configuring stairs different ways in the software, been using this program since the old days when it required a physical usb hardware key. Hell it must be 20 years now at least. And in all that time this is the first situation I've had where this would have been really useful. I've got a heavily edited & customized set of steps and I need a down version of it in the plan and was just hoping not to have to spend the time doing all the same edits on a new set of steps to do it. Oh well. Not the end of the world I guess.

In X16 you can save a staircase to the library and then draw down using alternate draw mode(right click drag)

I had not tried it, but was reading Chief help files which seemed to say stairs down were limited to down to terrain.

Obvious not the case.

I have no trouble in Chief annotating the same staircase as down in floor 1 plan view, and as up in the floor 0 level below.  See pics.  So what is the issue here @JBradleyConst?

Screenshot 2024-07-31 133304.png

Screenshot 2024-07-31 133317.png