Cabinet Door Thickness

JenniZ

Is there a way to show the actual thickness of the door in plan view.  It gets a little convoluted when dimensioning the cabinet and countertops

between the plan views and elevations.  Say I set my base cabinet depth to the depth it is with the door so I can show it in plan view

(24 7/8") but then when I do a elevation or section that dimension (24 7/8") is only showing that as the case depth and doesn't include the door.

I guess I could change all of my cabinets to flush inset with 0 separations but was wondering if anyone had a better idea.

In your other thread, there was a reply that suggested using a Door Panel from the Library.  This is really a great way to put Panels on the end of a Cabinet.  They can be sized completely independently and you can avoid some of these problems.

Note:  Cabinet Dimensions are usually "Box Dimensions", not overall including the Doors/Drawer Fronts.

I have attached a pic showing the method using a door panel I described in your other thread. Everything dimensions properly. I have used the method you are currently using but had the same problem. With this method you can also manipulate all components in all views.

This would be a typical section of a peninsula. we would normally place a back panel and then apply the decorative door panels it.

Graham

post-4793-0-21749900-1425935180_thumb.jpg

I don't believe there is a way, other than with point markers, to dimension the cabinet front thickness where the configuration is an overlay style. The inset will work, but your drawings will of course depict the inset.

I am in the Kitchen business, is there a particular reason that you need to dimension this?

Graham

I just set all of my cabinets to a flush inset and the separations at 0 so they look like frameless but are dimensioning to the face of the door on both plan view and elevation with the correct overhang of the countertop.

Works great and it does allow you to dimension. Only minor issue is that setting the vertical separations to "0" will mean that the door/drawer widths will be calculated to the full cabinet width (no 1/8" gap allowance) or if you have an opening, say for a built in wall oven, it will show not show the interior width correctly. This may not be of any concern depending upon your needs.

Still interested in the need to dimension this, it would really be helpful to understand this.

Graham

I do have one (Canadian) brand the lists depth to the door in the catalog-but they also spec both. Those have 23-1/2" deep boxes which is quirky.

Every other brand I've ever used is ordered by box depth. All the installers I know work from box depth.

Soo..

...for drawings purposes I dimension to boxes and note that.  For that brand I do the same, and note it on the plans. They have an ordering program which solves any issues.

For aisle clearances I dimension counter to counter and note it as such.

If I felt I had to dimension to face doors for some reason I'd likely place a dashed line at that distance from the wall, maybe on a separate locked layer, and snap to that. That way the cabinets will behave properly.

Side panels OTOH are another story- for overlay panels I always place loose doors for that (or drawer and door blocked). I want to see them in plan to avoid overlapping casings, missing them entirely or burying them.