Help Creating a New Layer Set

I need help understanding a concept in Chief Architect. I copied my "working plan view" layer set and renamed it "working plan locate stud surface view", but when I change the dimensions in the copied layer set to go from locating the center of the studs to locating the stud surface, it also changes the dimensions in the original working plan view layer set. I'm having great difficulty figuring this out.

Despite paying for a three-hour session with an experienced Chief Architect user (not employed by Chief Architect) (not their fault I did not understand), and watching all the Chief Architect training videos on Understanding Layers, Understanding Layer Sets, Understanding Default Sets, and Saved Plan Views, I still can't wrap my head around this.

I understand how to create a new layer set. However, after watching the Chief Architect 'Understanding Default Sets' video multiple times, I still don't understand how to create an entirely new default set and attach it to my new layer set so that my dimensions locate different things from the original working plan view layer set and the newly created "working plan locate stud surface view."

My trainer mentioned that this is one of the most challenging concepts in Chief Architect. Despite spending countless days and dollars, and taking four hours to write this post, I genuinely want to learn this. As an adult who struggles with learning, I’m asking for your assistance and patience in helping me grasp this concept.

A layer set is a collection of all the how and whether-you-see settings (on, off, locked, text style, line style, etc.) for every layer you have.  Nowhere in the layer set dialog do you associate the layer set with a plan view or a default set.

Default sets are named and stored collections of all things annotation, i.e., text, dimensions, callouts, arrows, each element, such as text, called a default, with all things like style, fill, alignment, etc. set in the default.  The default for a text style defines the layer on which the text is displayed.

Saved plan views are the very powerful means we have to "tie" this all together for composing construction docs with great efficiency.  

So you want a way to do a view sent to layout of your plan, all the wall framing (i.e. studs, maybe headers) shown, with dimensions you have manually drawn (Chief does not auto-dimension like I think you may need)?  If so, copy your working plan SPV, and name it STUDS R US or whatever you want.

Next, copy a layer set, whichever one might have most of what you want checked ON, rename it STUDS R US or your choice of name, and edit it so all those studs, show, plus whatever else it is you want in this Con Docs view.

Now create your default set, copying another, and edit it.

Wrap all this into the SPV you've done, and see how it works for you.

2 hours ago, scottharris said:

See if this video helps:

Forgive if I miscommunicated in my post question.  I have watched the video you suggested multiple times.  

In the video transcript it says:

And the question is how would you go about creating your own saved plan view?

The easiest way to do that is to typically maybe find an existing view

framing foundation, roof,

and just come over here and click the duplicate option down towards

the bottom of this menu by right clicking and clicking duplicate.

At this point, the program is going to ask you to create a name for this.

And in this case,

I'm just going to call it "Ceiling No Text." You'll notice that It immediately

opens up a new panel. Here it is, "ceiling no text" at this point,

I’m just going to call it "Ceiling No Text." You'll notice that It immediately

I can come in here and start doing some modifications.

Let's right click and make a small edit in here.

And for this particular view down on the selected defaults for the layer set,

I want to change that to something a little bit different.

Let's go ahead and click the dropdown here.

And I've already created a layer set called "ceiling no text" where the

dimensions and the text have already been turned off.

The bold text "And I've already created a layer set called "ceiling no text"  is what confuses me, as a visual learner I am having difficulty understanding how to create the layer set.

On 6/23/2024 at 3:20 PM, GeneDavis said:

A layer set is a collection of all the how and whether-you-see settings (on, off, locked, text style, line style, etc.) for every layer you have.

Thanks Gene - between your comment and the video @solver sent me - I think the terminology is making all this confusing for.  Going to spend time breaking down the Chief Architect help guide to see if I can comprehend this better and maybe ask a better question than the one I currently have posted.