Spot elevation marker macro ?

I'm having trouble creating a macro that references the actual terrain elevation at that location. I would like to be able to place markers around the corners of my building which calls out the terrain elevation, not the room elevation. As of right now for example, I need to show corner property elevation numbers relative to sea level, rather than your typical 100'-0". So I draw my terrain at the correct elevations based on survey data and reference that back to the house "subfloor height above terrain" in the terrain specs. Then I just add a marker and type in my known elevations, it would be great if I can get a macro to reference the spot elevation of the terrain. 

Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks!

That is possible but highly complex.  You are better off to just place an elevation point and use it's label.  If you don't want to interfere with the terrain use a marker point.   %elevationf% should work for both situations.

I see what you're saying. Unfortunately that's even more work than just typing in my elevation label. I often build my terrain as per the survey but don't adjust my corners with elevation points as I want to see how it sits on the natural grade. So it would be great to get a macro/label that pulls the elevation from the terrain at that point. Perhaps not possible with chief. 

Yes I agree that a passive elevation point reader would be a great addition to the program.  There actually is a way to do it with a cabinet but it is at least 10x more work than what I suggested previously.  It might be better to just see how it sits naturally then place an elevation point and round it off to the nearest inch and call it the proposed grade.

2 hours ago, bulmandesigns said:

I see what you're saying. Unfortunately that's even more work than just typing in my elevation label. I often build my terrain as per the survey but don't adjust my corners with elevation points as I want to see how it sits on the natural grade. So it would be great to get a macro/label that pulls the elevation from the terrain at that point. Perhaps not possible with chief. 

In a 3d view, your mouse cursor position shows you the z value of your terrain's surface if the terrain is selected. that z value is the offset from your first floor. Thats a pretty quick and easy/dirty way of doing it.
Example Video:

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I agree that a passive elevation point reader would be a great addition to the program.  There actually is a way to do it with a cabinet .....

:huh:   it never ceases to amaze me what some of you can do with a simple cabinet.... 

I have a handful of different tools I've developed for this exact purpose.  Here's one quick example:

184904980_ElevationFinder.thumb.gif.23dc09db71924d980378e49ee26231be.gif

I can set you up with a customized system if you'd like.  Just email me at alaskansons@gmail.com if you want to discuss further, or consider signing up for Michael's Mailer email subscription service and maybe it will be one of the items I give away one of these weeks :)

By the way, its more than just a simple macro.  Chief doesn't give us the required name:value pairs to pick up on terrain elevation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I have a handful of different tools I've developed for this exact purpose.  Here's one quick example:

184904980_ElevationFinder.thumb.gif.23dc09db71924d980378e49ee26231be.gif

I can set you up with a customized system if you'd like.  Just email me at alaskansons@gmail.com if you want to discuss further, or consider signing up for Michael's Mailer email subscription service and maybe it will be one of the items I give away one of these weeks :)

By the way, its more than just a simple macro.  Chief doesn't give us the required name:value pairs to pick up on terrain elevation.

well now I gotta try this :)