Structural Shapes for wall type definitions

mtldesigns

How do create and use a custom structural shape?  I need to use z-channels in lie of the C's on this exterior wall.  Interior wall are good with the C's.  I am not finding a lot of guidance... but as it usually goes, it's probably right in front of my face. 

Actually, I already created the profile, but not clear on how I can use as an option in DBX  

Thanks in advance

Screenshot 2024-05-16 220323.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 220406.png

14 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

How do create and use a custom structural shape?  I need to use z-channels in lie of the C's on this exterior wall.  Interior wall are good with the C's.  I am not finding a lot of guidance... but as it usually goes, it's probably right in front of my face. 

Actually, I already created the profile, but not clear on how I can use as an option in DBX  

Thanks in advance

Screenshot 2024-05-16 220323.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 220406.png

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

You won't be able to replace that c-channel in the wall dbx. If you want to model a z-channel, you'll need to add them manually.

As Robert says the framing profiles are hard coded so if it is something you need please make a concise suggestion with the reasoning of why it would help your workflow.

In the meantime you can make the wall with an invisible framing layer and then do a room molding polyline with the framing members as a vertical molding.  Or manually place symbols.

All that being said.  Is this something you need to show in 3d or can a cad detail suffice?

8 hours ago, rgardner said:

Is this something you need to show in 3d or can a cad detail suffice

11 hours ago, robdyck said:

You won't be able to replace that c-channel in the wall dbx. If you want to model a z-channel, you'll need to add them manually.

Thanks gents,

I kind a figured as such.  This is the client I mentioned in another post, in regarding wanting "shopping list" per say.  I should be able to create a material of the the Z's, but still show as a channel, so that he can get that count.  My CAD detail will show the correct config.