"below grade" function - dashed lines show up as straight lines in layout.

vikiw_bend

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I have set the camera to show the below grade lines as dashed, but when I send the elevation to layout, the lines are solid again and have lost the weight and color I assigned. Since that's theoretically not supposed to happen, what am I missing?

• Solution

My guess?  You have Use Edge Line Defaults selected for that Layout Box.  This would override any other line style settings being used for that view (except possibly Pattern Lines).

7 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

...I don't like the way the elevations look if I do not use Edge Line Defaults. So I'll figure something else out.

Just change all the line styles for all the layers in the required cameras' layerset(s) to use whatever linestyle you're using for your Edge Line Defaults.   It should essentially have the same effect.

Michael,

There is no linestyle choice on the Edge Line Defaults, just line weight and color. Even in the plan, changing the linestyle on the foundation walls/footings/foundation does not change the camera view. I'm baffled.

16 hours ago, vikiw_bend said:

Michael,

There is no linestyle choice on the Edge Line Defaults, just line weight and color. Even in the plan, changing the linestyle on the foundation walls/footings/foundation does not change the camera view. I'm baffled.

You have to stop using Edge Line Defaults.  

If you check Use Edge Line Defaults, the line style, weight, and color are all being overridden with a solid line using the color and weight you have selected for your Edge Line Defaults.  if however you uncheck Use Edge Line Defaults, your Edge Lines are all controlled by the Camera’s Layer Set.   If you open that Camera, go to Active Layer Display options, Select All, and then change all line styles to match your Edge Line Defaults, you should get the same results you had before except that your below grade lines will now behave the Override settings.

But if I don't, the elevation is all too dark and heavy and doesn't read well. What I do instead is draw a polyline box around the foundation and hatch it, all using white, so the foundation looks like dashed lines. Guess I'll keep doing it that way.

43 minutes ago, vikiw_bend said:

But if I don't, the elevation is all too dark and heavy and doesn't read well

If you change the settings I described, this would not be the case.  What I'm saying is that you have 2 ways of controlling all those elevation lines and you're boxing yourself in by not using the Layer Set instead of Edge Line Defaults.  I would really encourage you to learn to use the Layer Set instead of Edge Line Defaults.  It will save you a lot of time and give you more possibilities. 

• Upvote 1

Joey, your elevations are beautiful. How do the different elements look when printed in B&W?

I have a bit of time today to play with my elevation camera layer set, so thanks, Joey and Michael for the push.