Wall Schedule MAcro help

aroe69

HEy all im working on a macro that will produce a wall height that i can integrate into a schedule, and of course i am missing something.. any thoughts or suggestions would be amazingly helpful.

here is the macro as i have it currently, however it keeps returning a message of " calculate_wall_ height". i have it catching any exceptions and reporting back.

here are the 2 macros im basing it off of: %wall.top_elevation% and %wall.bottom_elevation%  g and subtracting the difference so no matter what floor the wall is onit should return the actual wall height

def calculate_wall_height
  begin
    if self.respond_to?(:top_elevation) && self.respond_to?(:bottom_elevation)
      top_elevation = self.top_elevation.to_f
      bottom_elevation = self.bottom_elevation.to_f
      height = top_elevation - bottom_elevation
      return "#{height} units"
    else
      return "Error: Properties not accessible."
    end
  rescue StandardError => e
    return "Error occurred: #{e.message}"
  end
end

HELLLLp :)

Screenshot 2024-05-12 144841.jpg

• Like 1

Chief doesn't provide wall attributes (NVPs) for top_elevation or bottom_elevation.

The best you can do is use the room finish schedule for this information.

IAE, you should check my macro template in TIps & Techniques for the proper way to create macros in Chief.  The format you are using doesn't work in chief.

As Joe said, Chief doesn't provide the name:value pairs that you need.  The macros you're using are special "Global macros" or intraChief string substitution macros that I don't believe are even run through the Ruby interpreter. 

Regarding your syntax:  You're not getting the expected results because although you've defined your method, you've never actually called on that method. 

Getting wall heights into a wall schedule can be done by the way.  It just requires a more complex system that is slightly less automatic.  If you want to st up a private consult, I can set you up with the basics.

I have a macro that can display the height of a wall.  However, it only displays the height of the wall correctly if there are no openings in the wall.

I could probably set up some global hashes to store the opening areas for each wall and add that to the wall's reported area.  This would make the calculation pretty accurate.  But it would be far easier for CA to simply include an NVP for the wall "height".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i was ponder this same idea.

they have Field for it in the schedule but no attribute.

disappointing that CA cant generate a Wall elevation Area.  

they already have % openings field, which is great.

Not sure why they won't provide the Wall height. Instead of making us jumping thru hoop to have it. 

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 1.43.20 PM.png

This wouldn't address walls spanning several rooms with multiple heights.

I created a 3 room box, (2) 9' ceilings, (1) 10' ceiling.

The only schedule change was Chief additionally count's the (2) 1'3 1/6" walls sticking above the 9' ceilings until the roof intersects them.

image.thumb.png.5348d3ba174d0e14186811053e11c890.png

It still only sees two sets of outside walls.

And consider the interior wall of the Study, it is 9' drywall on its side, but 10' on the Entry side.

Next, if you break every wall intersection, the 1'3 1/16" wall sections aren't counted anymore and the total is off by another 3-1/2" or so, after excluding those two walls..

image.thumb.png.8ae4240b87eaea0548acc86732e361df.png

Of course, the room schedule gives you the ceiling height, but won't return the perimeter.