Stair Default and Garage Doors

Ed_Orum

In the template plan I am setting up, I have the Default 1st and 2nd floor joists set @ 9-1/2", both with a 3/4" Sub-Floor.

The ceiling height for both floors is set @ 97-1/8", so the total rise, 1st to 2nd floor is 107-3/8".

In the Stair Default dialog box, the stair height is set at 121-1/2", and apparently this cannot be changed in the stair dialog box.

So, how do I change the stair default height to 97-1/8".

Next, in the Default settings for garage doors, the Rough Opening should be the same as the door size, but the program adds a "minimum" for the rough opening.  How do I eliminate the additional space so the rough opening size is the actual door size?
Thanks in advance,

Lane

In all my time framing, we made the rough opening the called size plus whatever vertical trim was being used to trim out the door so that the final finished rough opening was the actual door size.

For example and 8–0 door was actually 8’-3” RO because we used a 2 x 8 to wrap the doors, thus making the final rough opening from finished surface, 8’-0”

I’ve never made the framed rough opening the exact door size because then trimming out that opening would be wrong when looking at the garage door. 

is this how garage doors are framed in your region?  It seems I learn something new every day. 

So, how do I change the stair default height to 97-1/8".

As far as I know, you can't.  The stair defaults are set to "automatic heights" and I can't find anyway to turn this off.  Most of the time you shouldn't need to because the stair should just go from floor to floor and automatically adjust the riser height so that it works.  Are you trying to do something special?

How do I eliminate the additional space so the rough opening size is the actual door size?

You probably just need to turn off the jamb.  If the door size "excludes" the jamb, and you have a jamb, the program will use the size of the jamb as the minimums for the rough opening.

6 hours ago, para-CAD said:

In all my time framing, we made the rough opening the called size plus whatever vertical trim was being used to trim out the door so that the final finished rough opening was the actual door size.

For example and 8–0 door was actually 8’-3” RO because we used a 2 x 8 to wrap the doors, thus making the final rough opening from finished surface, 8’-0”

I’ve never made the framed rough opening the exact door size because then trimming out that opening would be wrong when looking at the garage door. 

is this how garage doors are framed in your region?  It seems I learn something new every day. 

That's what I want to do. the RO is the actual door size.  But chief wants to add an extra 1/2"

6 hours ago, DBCooper said:

As far as I know, you can't.  The stair defaults are set to "automatic heights" and I can't find anyway to turn this off.  Most of the time you shouldn't need to because the stair should just go from floor to floor and automatically adjust the riser height so that it works.  Are you trying to do something special?

No, nothing special, I was setting defaults for a bunch of things and I thought it would be nice to have the stairs always default to the correct height.

Why does chief even have a default height if you cannot adjust it to the conditions you want?

6 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You probably just need to turn off the jamb.  If the door size "excludes" the jamb, and you have a jamb, the program will use the size of the jamb as the minimums for the rough opening.

@Ed_Orum - The stair tool is "smart" and will automatically find the floor to floor height in your plan. You don't need to specify this height...or, the ceiling height. You can get better control of the stair by doing the following;

Open your template plan. Double click the stair icon to open your interior stair defaults. 

Instead of specifying "automatic treads"...specify either "lock tread depth" or "lock number of treads"

Now...to get the stair you place in a plan as close to a 7.5" riser - you will still have to open the stair once placed and make a modification;

• If you "lock the tread depth"...you will have to open the stair and change the "number of treads"....probably (13) will work
  • If you "lock the number of treads"...you will have to open the stair and change the "tread depth"

• Like 1