Applying Ceiling Materials

Pkbldr

Go to solution Solved by Pkbldr,

I have a bathroom model with a partially barrel vaulted ceiling (curved ceiling plane) as shown in the attached jpg. I want to apply a wood plank material to the barrel portion and leave the flat ceiling (flat ceiling plane) as is (white drywall). None of the material painter options allow me to do this but rather apply material to all of the ceiling. If I uncheck Ceiling Finish in the Ceiling Plane specification so that the Materials becomes active, the curved ceiling disappears.

How may I isolate the curved ceiling plane to apply the wood material to it alone?

Thanks,

post-500-0-14848800-1425416757_thumb.jpg

The curved part of the ceiling is either a poly-line solid or molding profile and whatever it has, it also has a "Specification Dialog - Materials Tab". Use that to set and orientate the material for that and set the flat ceiling via its room dialog - Materials Tab.

DJP

post-500-0-56437300-1425473961_thumb.jpgThe curved part of the ceiling is a "Ceiling Plane" with the "Curved Roof" attribute checked. The "Ceiling Plane Specification" dialog "Materials" tab is blank and I learned that the materials are defined by the "Room Ceiling Finish" unless you uncheck this option on the "General" tab of the "Ceiling Plane Specification" dialog. When I uncheck it the ceiling plane disappears, thus my dilemma.

Here's the plan.

Thanks

Now wasn't that simple,  post the plan and you will have an answer in about 45 seconds.

Select ceiling plane  open DBX,  uncheck USE ROOM CEILING FINISH,  go to MATERIALS TAB,  select material and all is well.

post-50-0-40234000-1425499790_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-09462900-1425499800_thumb.jpg

That's what I want!

This is what I get when I do that.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I cant see it

You are using the wrong camera....   you are using a floor camera,  I do not believe the floor camera shows ceilings.  Learn the difference between the different cameras.

You are using the wrong camera....   you are using a floor camera,  I do not believe the floor camera shows ceilings.  Learn the difference between the different cameras.

I retract that statement.  I do not know what you are doing wrong,   must be the wrong camera.....  I took your plan,  did nothing but change that particular ceiling DBX info and it worked for me.

BINGO! We've got a winner!

I wonder why it will show the flat ceilings but not the curved one. On the other hand it does show the curved ceiling too until I apply a different finish. Not very intuitive...No Matter...I know it does it now.

As always; this forum is one of the primary reasons CA is as successful as it is.

Thank you Scott!