Railing Panel Infill Question

JKEdmo

Hi,

I was working with railing panels today and noticed the panel infill varied with panel type.

Here's an example below.  3 railing walls each 10 feet long.  3 different library panel styles.

You can see that the panel counts vary from 2 to 4.

image.thumb.png.140d86907be01c85b2c4303eca32075b.png

What controls the "repeat" behavior of railing panel infills?  Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks again,

Jim

I believe that behavior is based on the panel symbol.  It will stretch but always keeps it's basic geometry.  Try stretching a copy to 12' or shrink to 8' and I think you will see that is the situation.

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

It will stretch but always keeps it's basic geometry.

Safer to say it will TRY to keep it's geometry. But I think it's a little more complicated than that though.

Looking at those panels in the library, that first panel is exactly 4' wide, so you would expect it to be a single panel at 4' and a double somewhere between 4' and 8', which it does. However at 12' when you might expect 3 panels we revert back to only 2 because the default newel spacing of 96" kicks in and creates another post in the middle, which in turn shortens the length of the panels between these three posts, under the threshold where it would need more than one per rail section. Lengthen it even more and it breaks the threshold again and we get 4 panels, two between the three newels.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, Chopsaw said:

I believe that behavior is based on the panel symbol. 

Thanks Chopsaw!

On 4/1/2024 at 5:04 PM, TeaTime said:

it will TRY to keep it's geometry.

Thanks TT!

Jim