Finding or adding Plan Views

Mackenzie

Hello, I'm looking to make a site plan for an upcoming project and when watching the chief tutorial on how to do that it starts with selecting the plot plan view from the plan view drop down bar but mine does not have that as an option. Learning more about the plan views is something I'll need to spend more time on soon but was hoping for help with this one, I was able to make a new view called site plan in the layer display options but that doesn't transfer over to my drop down bar and seems like it's maybe altering the ones in my drop down bar so I stopped playing with that.

My general question is two parts

1) why dont I have a Site plan view option

2)How do I add/Import new plan views

Thanks again for taking the time to look at my question, this feels like a very basic thing I must have missed early on with the tutorial videos.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.17.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 6.18.24 PM.png

All you need to do is use the import tools to import the saved plan view from Chief's template plan. To do this, select File>Import>Import Saved Plan Views...

You will need to know the file path for the Residential template plan. You can find this by following Edit>Preferences>General>New Plan>Plan Template

• Like 1

So you can always import saved plan views from any plan into any other as Robert is suggesting.

I think you missed a couple of fundamental things though.  It looks like all you did was create a new "layer set".  That's all fine and dandy but a "layer set" is not a "saved plan view" so you really can't expect it to show up in the drop down that shows all of the saved plan views.  Layer sets can control what and how things look in any view.  Saved plan views can keep track of the layer set but they can also keep track of your selected defaults, reference display, and other settings.  

There are a bunch of ways to create new saved plan views but here are a couple that are easy to do:

- you can use the "save active view as" tool.

- you can right click in the project browser.

Regardless of how you create a new plan view, you can then use the "edit active view" tool (or "edit view" from the project browser) to make sure it is setup the way you want.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackenzie said:

My general question is two parts

1) why dont I have a Site plan view option

2)How do I add/Import new plan views

You've Started the Project ( or have it set as  your Default Plan Template ) using the Kitchen and Bath Template , instead of the Residential Template , but if you are too far in , you can import the other Saved Plan Views from the Residental Template as mentioned by Rob above.

image.thumb.png.b39df917b4fc82fa678169adb5b28d53.png

M. 

• Like 1

Thank you all and yes, it quickly became apparent to me I was missing some fundamental basics and appreciate all your help in catching me up to get a better understanding on how plan views are meant to be used.

6 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

Thank you all and yes, it quickly became apparent to me I was missing some fundamental basics and appreciate all your help in catching me up to get a better understanding on how plan views are meant to be used.

Chief has a very good KnowledgeBase (KB) full of short FAQs and Tutorials , including on SVP's....        ( PDF can be downloaded on right under green button )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03185/understanding-saved-plan-views.html

as well as Videos of course

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/#playlist-100

Mick.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief has a very good KnowledgeBase (KB) full of short FAQs and Tutorials , including on SVP's....        ( PDF can be downloaded on right under green button )

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03185/understanding-saved-plan-views.html

as well as Videos of course

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/#playlist-100

Mick.

Thank you, I've learned a lot from those videos but will have to go back and get the fundamentals down as I've been mostly learning as I build and haven't had a lot of separate study time, Do you know if Chief also has practice prompts to try and build? I'm working on drawing my own home for practice but it's a fairly basic home layout wise.

I also seem to have run into another problem that I assume is a simple fix I'm unaware of, when I opened my plot plan view for my drawing it did not go to an overview showing the roof lines and property lines like the example in video no.1930, do you know what I need to do to get the same view as in the lesson video?

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 12.44.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 12.44.52 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

I've been mostly learning as I build and haven't had a lot of separate study time, Do you know if Chief also has practice prompts to try and build? I'm working on drawing my own home for practice but it's a fairly basic home layout wise.

Nothing wrong with that method to learn Chief, and one I recommend to new Users all the time as it easy to get more info and figure out why something might not be "working in chief as it should" :)

Are you aware of the Tutorial Guide link right in the Help Menu?   This is a PDF that Chief, I think originally offered to academic institutions  like high schools and colleges as a step by step,

as if your not sure of something Hit F1 on your keyboard and the context sensitive help should pop up.

I'm not sure what the difference in the views are you are seeing ( or not) are? 

M. 

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Nothing wrong with that method to learn Chief, and one I recommend to new Users all the time as it easy to get more info and figure out why something might not be "working in chief as it should" :)

Are you aware of the Tutorial Guide link right in the Help Menu?   This is a PDF that Chief, I think originally offered to academic institutions  like high schools and colleges as a step by step,

as if your not sure of something Hit F1 on your keyboard and the context sensitive help should pop up.

I'm not sure what the difference in the views are you are seeing ( or not) are? 

M. 

I was not aware of that tutorial help link but I did just find it and am looking forward to the new resource, thank you. I also didn't know you could turn on the context sensitive tips with f1, it has given me trouble in the past that some icons have a pop up name and others were mysteries to me so thankyou for that as well.

The difference I was hoping would be to have my plan just display the roof lines and plot lines of the property. I didn't draw the entire house interior accurately (or at all in some cases) but I know the exterior dimensions and property line are accurate so was hoping to only display those. Primarily I think I want to display the roof frame floors 1 and 2 as well as the terrain but playing with the active layer display options doesn't seem to be helping.

10 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

The difference I was hoping would be to have my plan just display the roof lines and plot lines of the property

Ahhh , i wondered if it was just a layer display issue , I would suggest you work with the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options)   OPEN , i keep it on one of my other monitors to turn LAYERS on and off quickly, change line colors, text sizes or Lock them so they are not selectable.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03122/displaying-the-active-layer-set-control-on-the-toolbar-or-in-the-aldo.html

I think I see Roof Planes on your Garage ?  so house is two story ?  or no roof on the house yet?  you can make the Roof planes show  on the floor above or below if they are on the upper floor ?  with the quick icon on the edit toolbar when the RP is selected.

M.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Ahhh , i wondered if it was just a layer display issue , I would suggest you work with the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options)   OPEN , i keep it on one of my other monitors to turn LAYERS on and off quickly, change line colors, text sizes or Lock them so they are not selectable.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03122/displaying-the-active-layer-set-control-on-the-toolbar-or-in-the-aldo.html

I think I see Roof Planes on your Garage ?  so house is two story ?  or no roof on the house yet?  you can make the Roof planes show  on the floor above or below if they are on the upper floor ?  with the quick icon on the edit toolbar when the RP is selected.

M.

That Is a great Idea, I didn't realize I could drag those off to a separate screen but that's going to be a huge benefit for screen real estate. especially if the library browser moves as well. 

The house is two story and the roofs are all on I'll get my ALDo on the second monitor along with that link you shared to me and see if I can get things looking proper.

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

M.

small additional question, what is the quick Icon under the edit toolbar? I looked for the word quick under the edit drop down from the top but think I'm misunderstanding

2 hours ago, Mackenzie said:

That Is a great Idea, I didn't realize I could drag those off to a separate screen but that's going to be a huge benefit for screen real estate. especially if the library browser moves as well. 

The house is two story and the roofs are all on I'll get my ALDO on the second monitor along with that link you shared to me and see if I can get things looking proper.

Yes,  they all move I have the Project Browser on Mon.3 and the ADLO on Mon. 3 on the other side...               ( 3 identical monitors is the way to go for sure )

image.thumb.png.20fdc984c329958b5c764c89ed75be0d.png

DB is right , once the Roof plane is selected on the 2nd floor Check the Edit toolbar for the display on floor below Icon ( it doesn't move the roof plane , it just shows one floor lower or higher)

image.thumb.png.eebe08c448a981263c3910eee40ed8be.png