Sorting Notes Schedule

DHerb2014

I'm having difficulty sorting the first column in a Notes Schedule. In the attached, column one is not only out of order numerically, but there's other note info (e.g., Demo 01) that is shown out of order.

I tried searching but to no avail. Hoping there's a quick workaround and not having to drag each entity to its proper order.

Please see attached.

Keynotes Disorder.jpg

Unfortunately there's no quick-sort option, but you might try creating a new schedule. To Avoid deleting and reconfiguring it, if you just copy and paste this schedule it'll create a new one with new sorting, I believe based on the original placement order of those notes, and you'll likely get double numbers (1,2  3,2  etc) on both schedules. But if the new schedule looks like what you want, delete the original schedule and move on. If not, I'm not sure there's a better way of sorting them apart from manually dragging rows.

This is crazy. I created a brand new schedule on a new Plan file. Imported the text boxes and created a new Notes Schedule. It did not sort from 01 to 20.

I'm really trying to support Chief Architect, but it's things like this that make me consider other CAD programs. With new upgrades, they add items that we'll never use (e.g. 3-D framing tools), but simple things like this Notes Schedule and the Text command (WYSIWYG) remains unchanged year after year.

With the increase in our SSA subscriptions, X16 had better be significant, or they'll lose me as a sincere, 26-year customer.

Keynotes Disorder Part 2.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Unfortunately there's no quick-sort option, but you might try creating a new schedule. To Avoid deleting and reconfiguring it, if you just copy and paste this schedule it'll create a new one with new sorting, I believe based on the original placement order of those notes, and you'll likely get double numbers (1,2  3,2  etc) on both schedules. But if the new schedule looks like what you want, delete the original schedule and move on. If not, I'm not sure there's a better way of sorting them apart from manually dragging rows.

we can renumber, which would also re-sort as well as renumber:
image.png.e4cae35af10d45500aa45c1e66d1e9af.png

26 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

it's things like this that make me consider other CAD programs

We can also sort but whatever other column we want to, and this is a compounding effect, similar to the way that light's menu works:
image.thumb.png.e72aa5c87ee2dd43b2f79dc28d183ecf.png

Are you asking for something different?

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

we can renumber, which would also re-sort as well as renumber:

That's different though, that just re-adds missing numbers if things have been deleted.

I'm actually a bit confused how it got mixed up in the first place since chief auto orders the numbers.

When you open the Notes, is the Text Above Line set to the default %simple_schedule_number%? Or did you enter your own numbers?

29 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

With the increase in our SSA subscriptions, X16 had better be significant, or they'll lose me as a sincere, 26-year customer.

Every other competitor out there is more expensive than chief with the exception of soft plan or revit lt...and you'd be very dissapointed with those two. If you keep your legacy pricing, youre still paying 4.5x less than Archicad users...the only software I would consider. Just saying :) Grass, greener..that whole thing :)
You could always switch to rich text

1 minute ago, TeaTime said:

That's different though, that just re-adds missing numbers if things have been deleted.

I'm actually a bit confused how it got mixed up in the first place since chief auto orders the numbers.

When you open the Notes, is the Text Above Line set to the default %simple_schedule_number%? Or did you enter your own numbers?

he's using the sort-by method I show above..and needs to uncheck it

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

he's using the sort-by method I show above..and needs to uncheck it

I don't think he is though, even when Sorting by Text, the numbers should automatically reorder themselves, unless there's something I'm missing, 'cause that's what I'm seeing.

@Renerabbitt ya know, you're right. I think maybe we're both right. His screenshots show they are certainly sorted by text, first one descending the others ascending. However the only way the numbers are messed up as a result is if the Text Above was manually entered. The problem is that you can't sort by the "2D Symbol" column, which is reporting the Text Above value.

However, @DHerb2014, I think if you add the Text Above column then sort it by that column, you should then be able to remove that column and I think that should keep it reordered in the way you want.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DHerb2014 said:

This is crazy. I created a brand new schedule on a new Plan file.

Can you post that plan file? You'll have an appropriate answer to your issue in no time!

TT,

I tried your idea. It works until I remove the "Text Above Line". See screen shots 1 thru 5

Robert, I'll attach the plan file Schedule

Tried sending the .plan file and keep getting error message -200  SEE ATTACHED

Text Above Line 1.jpg

Text Above Line 2.jpg

Text Above Line 3 .jpg

Text Above Line 4 Removed .jpg

Text Above Line 5 Reverts Back to Original.jpg

Error Message - No Upload.jpg

6 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

I tried your idea. It works until I remove the "Text Above Line".

See what I put above. You are sorting by the "Text" field. If you do not want to sort by text and instead want to sort by number, you would need to uncheck that option. Also Tea Time keeps asking if you are manually inputting note values or are you utilizing the default OOTB Schedule_number? The OOTB schedule_number should auto-number in X15.
Also, you could always manually reorder by dragging rows up and down
Chief locks its plan file, so its not accessible for upload if you still have the file open

31 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

I tried your idea. It works until I remove the "Text Above Line". See screen shots 1 thru 5

I think when you're removing the Text Above Line column, it's reverting back to sorting by Text.

Re-add that column, sort by it, then uncheck Auto Sort, THEN remove the Text Above column.

I unchecked the Text field sort by. Still not working.

TT, apologies. When I'm entering a new keynote value (e.g., 08) for example, I copy the keynote comment above (e.g., 07) and paste below the previous one. I double click on the new value, 08 for example, and change the info in the dialog box that opens up. I did this for 01 thru 20 and didn't have any problem with sorting.

Problem occurred when adding a different type of note "Demo 01" for example. It threw this into the schedule and rearranged everything. Attaching the .Plan file of Schedule

9 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I think when you're removing the Text Above Line column, it's reverting back to sorting by Text.

Re-add that column, sort by it, then uncheck Auto Sort, THEN remove the Text Above column.

this is correct

9 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

Problem occurred when adding a different type of note "Demo 01" for example

use the schedule number instead. Lots of problems solved. Then you can re-order to your liking by sliding rows up and down
"Demo" %schedule_number% 
I would use a separate schedule for your demo notes

• Like 1