Trimming a Post with a Solid, Lost Edit Handles when I Specified a Height?

KnotSquare

I have created a post only model for quick download if desired.

Below is a video showing the issue I am having.

In short, when I used the 3D Solid Specification dbx to alter the height of the solid I created at 120", stretch to fit the model and then changed the outer two elements of each side to 18" high and 1.5" high respectively, I lost the edit handles to be able to reshape the top 2x2 trim cap.

WHAT IS NOT IN THE VIDEO is that I copied and moved the full height trim to create the 18" tall and cap trim. Forgot about that until I started writing this up.

Appreciate everyone and justimage.png.44c131b9b5243d1800379c121741df73.pngPost at Rear Patio.zip shared out a new model of MTW Deck Brackets that I made for all to use in Symbols and Content named "MTW Deck Bracket.calibz".

@Renerabbitt

Rene Rabbitt offered me a link to Discord to place a previous model I wanted to share of a kick light for stairs. I am not a gamer and could not find my way around. Please let me know if this other method of sharing creations is not appropriate, but it is loaded as noted above.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=94144&key=7a4030819579b1dd0345e7b082835f8f

@glennw

If I am getting this suggestion correctly, I think you are speaking of the 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" (damn US measurements!), a single wrap, then a lower base wrap and a cap for a total of 4 pieces.

Since one of my main selling points is accurate Material Lists, molding polylines bewilder me when it comes to accuracy of materials. What is your opinion knowing that I take advantage of this added feature?

I added the dbx to my posting - I shortened the height so that you could see the detail easier.

I would do the 5.5" post as a Post or Solid and then wrap the molding line round it.

You will need to play with the materials list, but I cant see why there would be too many problems.

I should have made it clear that when using rectangular/square moldings, you do not have to draw a molding of the correct size.

In the above example I used the 3 x 10 molding from the Handrails and Caps library for each molding.

The correct sizing is then taken care of in the Molding Polyline Specification dbx.

Instead of going back to the library for each one, just copy and edit an existing molding that you have already used.

@solver

Eric,

I have the same selection issues, but get the most luck if I approach the object I am trying to grab from inside if its shape, moving towards the corner until I see the square indicator when near the corner I am trying to grab. See if that helps in your selection.

X15 does have some new glitches for certain.

Thank you for demonstrating that it is not just me.

Mark

On 12/29/2023 at 8:20 AM, solver said:

I've seen and reported multiple similar problems. 

While making a Custom Door Last week I also noticed the Issue with the Copy > Reflect Tool  turning Polyline Solids into (un-editable) "Solids" , this is a big Issue as for symmetrical Objects I always used CAD Lines to "Reflect About" to save time and effort.

I am not sure if the "prediction" Chief now shows on these type of Operations ( and Roof Planes etc) is part of the Point to Point Issue as I also see that in X15 and like in Eric's Video find I have to do a 2nd Pt. to Pt. to get it exactly into position.

However In X15 it seems things can be "detected" even if their layer is Turned OFF eg Dimensions do it all the Time, so whether in the Video it is still "snapping to the Grid(s) even with them disabled I am not sure , but these "glitches are annoying and ( and time wasting = $) so seems like a Bug to me.

M.