Can Chief Architect perform structural load calculations?

adgtx08

Does anyone know if Chief Architect is able to actually perform structural calculations and point loads on the foundations and framing it generates? If not, do you think it can be done using Ruby programming to generate those calculations through an add-on to the software? Or does that have to be in another calculation software like StruCalc or Forte? I have a programmer willing to make a utility for me, but I was just curious if anyone had attempted actual calculations in Chief Architect.

The short answer is no.  To paraphrase answers that I have seen in the past is that the program is used all over the world and engineering is subject to many different local conditions making it impossible to introduce that specificity not to mention potential liability. 

As you may know the process is usually done by sending a 3D structural model to another app that does the calculations after importing the 3D file from the CAD app.

I have asked for a 3D file export system from CA to other apps in the past and they are not available at this stage. As you know most engineers do the work on the 3D model and then provide the calculations. You can send 2D DWG files from CA to another app but that’s about it for now.

Lots of us use timber span tables and other apps to do the calculations for us.

There are some here using CA and Ruby script but I am not sure if anyone is actually using it for engineering calculations. 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, adgtx08 said:

Does anyone know if Chief Architect is able to actually perform structural calculations and point loads on the foundations and framing it generates? If not, do you think it can be done using Ruby programming to generate those calculations through an add-on to the software? Or does that have to be in another calculation software like StruCalc or Forte? I have a programmer willing to make a utility for me, but I was just curious if anyone had attempted actual calculations in Chief Architect.

Not really, a wall can report its trib length on one side of the wall and be marked bearing but it cant do both sides of the wall. So no matter what there would always be some manual input

Forte is a free app by Weyerhaeuser that will do this for you. My contractors use it themselves with ease, often in conjunction with SketchUp. There don't seem to be any recent youtube videos on it but perhaps it just hasn't changed much in the past few years. Does the job. Give it a whirl.  https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/software-learning/forte-software/