Measuring

Luna18

Hello everyone!

I am a very new user, I'm sure this question has been asked but I don't know how to word it right.

I sometimes have trouble with measuring and placing stuff. It's as if there is a setting to use only the 1''x1'' grid for measuring and placing items. Here is a picture of my problem :

image.thumb.png.edf821bed293b671ad33a66524cf5470.png

Sometimes it works right, sometimes it refuses to place either the measure or the item exactly where I ask it. I won't lie, I'm starting to lose my patience over this issue haha.

Either point to point or end to end gives me this result.

Any tips? Thank you!

Luna

In your picture, it looks like your dimension is going to markers and not to the edge of the polyline (maybe a counter top?) that you are showing.

You probably want to use the end-to-end dimension instead of the point-to-point dimension and you will need to check your "locate objects" settings in your dimension defaults to make sure they are set to pick up what you want to dimension.  So if that really is a counter top, you need to make sure your dimensions are set to locate counter tops.

Also, this set of training videos on dimensions might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/92/dimensions.html

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

In your picture, it looks like your dimension is going to markers and not to the edge of the polyline (maybe a counter top?) that you are showing.

I was assuming CA is dropping the markers on the grid lines.

@Luna18, Can you confirm, are you drawing the dim left to right, and is the dim line snapping to the grid and then dropping a marker when you let go?

And I am assuming the p2p is not snapping to the cabinet at all, only to the grid?

4 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You probably want to use the end-to-end dimension instead of the point-to-point dimension and you will need to check your "locate objects" settings in your dimension defaults to make sure they are set to pick up what you want to dimension.

Also, this set of training videos on dimensions might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/92/dimensions.html

Thank you, I'll look into those options! And thanks for the links

2 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

I was assuming CA is dropping the markers on the grid lines.

@Luna18, Can you confirm, are you drawing the dim left to right, and is the dim line snapping to the grid and then dropping a marker when you let go?

And I am assuming the p2p is not snapping to the cabinet at all, only to the grid?

If I'm understanding correctly so far, that's exactly it! I have the same problem whatever the direction I'm drawing though