Tone down texture?

Gawdzira

This mostly comes up for me with the pressure treated wood texture but I think it could be really valuable. I would like the ability to tone down the effect of a texture file on a material. I know I can adjust the "Blend with Texture" color option but even that does not give me what I would like to see in most instances. Is there a way beyond grabbing the texture file image and doing editing outside of CA?

image.thumb.png.6d9c9714c679deb8662bc09fbadc6fed.png

I'm sure there are others who can answer more eloquently than me, however the short answer is no, you can't do the editing you'd like within the Define Material dialog.

When making improvements to material textures, it's usually best to go 'all-in'. For me, this means identifying specifically what I'm trying to replicate and then taking the best approach possible. Usually that means creating my own material using an edited resource from within Chief or from an alternative source. For this particular material, I'd suggest that there's not a whole lot about it that looks realistic. In Western Canada, for example, there are 2 main types of treated lumber: incised green treated lumber suitable for below grade foundations and smooth brown treated lumber suitable for above grade use, like deck framing. I have created my own realistic looking materials to replicate the materials that are regionally available.

Can you provide a real world image of the product you'd like to replicate? That can be a great starting point to provide some better advice on how I'd handle this material for use within Chief.

5 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

Is there a way beyond grabbing the texture file image and doing editing outside of CA?

You haven't actually said what you don't like about that Texture , but you can also play with the X and Y scale , eg double or quadruple them ( 12" or 24")

I have done the same as Rob though myself as "Brown treated" is not common ( and looks ugly :) )

M.