How to Delete Extra Layers in a Layer Set

DHerb2014

You can only delete Layers that aren't in use in some manner - look at the Used column, mousing over it tells you how it's being used.

The fun part is figuring out WHERE. It'll just tell you its used in a default or some such vagueness, but as long as you can track down where it's being used and remove it, then it can be deleted. Unless it's a System Layer. Then the answer's simply "No."

You'll be better off not messing with it and just Renaming the layers you care about and ignoring the rest. Putting a space or two at the beginning, or a dash or something, will sort them to the top of the list.

It's crazy to have 30 plus layers in a default setting and not be able to delete all but three or four! This would be a good suggestion for X16 as it's a huge time bandit to have to sort through the entire content just to get to the layers you need.

CHIEF BETA REQUEST - Please allow us users to be able to delete as many unused layers as necessary. It's senseless to have Roof, Cabinet, Slab, Terrain, etc., when all we need is three or four layers for a CAD project.

24 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

It's crazy to have 30 plus layers in a default setting and not be able to delete all but three or four! This would be a good suggestion for X16 as it's a huge time bandit to have to sort through the entire content just to get to the layers you need.

CHIEF BETA REQUEST - Please allow us users to be able to delete as many unused layers as necessary. It's senseless to have Roof, Cabinet, Slab, Terrain, etc., when all we need is three or four layers for a CAD project.

I am curious as to why you are needing to reference the layers at all? set it and forget it?
Alternatively, just label the layers you need with a prefix and then put that prefix in the search bar..there is your filtered results

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DHerb2014 said:

Here's what I'm referring to (Chief Beta Request). See attached. I've highlighted the unused Cabinet layers, yet the box to Delete them is grayed out!

The Wrench icon in the Used column is telling you it's used -- as a default.

Base Cabinet Defaults are set to place Base Cabinets on the "Cabinets, Base" layer, etc, etc.

You'd have to go through and change all those defaults to use a different layer to get them to not be "in use" in your defaults.

I hadn't tried before now, but lo' it matters not.

image.png.e6a42c4bb85d41d08b1990766299290f.png

Setting Base Cabinet Defaults to use a generic "Cabinets" layer did in fact remove the "In Defaults" in use state, but as I kind of expected, it's now got the S denoting a System Layer.

You just can't delete those things. And I don't think any amount of feature suggestioning is going to change that. The program is designed to operate with these things, there are just certain things that cannot be changed to suit our whims.

Yeah, you can't delete any of the built in system layers.  It's always worked this way, even back in 1998 if I can remember correctly.  If you think about it for a bit, Chief is really an architectural design program and not just a cad program.  What would they do if you placed a cabinet after deleting the cabinet layer?  Put it on the cad default layer?  That might be pretty lame.

Regardless, I think if you want Chief to consider your suggestion, you need to post over here:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/