Video Card Question Or Flickering Lines

ACADuser

Alan, I reported this issue to TS back in November of last year. Here is their reply:

"The [flickering] horizontal line issue in elevations appears to happen only with specific video cards and I have found out that it is an issue to which we are currently working on a solution."

That was in X6 and I see no improvement with X7. I am running a AMD Radeon video card, but I see Kevin is running a GeForce card, and a pretty good one at that, so go figure.

Hopefully there will be a fix with the release of X7.

Btw, maybe you may want to add to your posting something like "flickering lines" in case others are having similar issues.

Here is the latest from TS concerning this issue.

"Thank you for taking the time to bring the flickering horizontal lines issue to our attention. I spoke with members of our Software Development and Testing teams, and learned that this is an issue that's high on our list of priorities. I also learned, though, that it presents some technical challenges that aren't easily resolved and for that reason it's unclear whether we will be able to address it in the version X7 release.

I am sorry that I don't have more information available but hope that this is helpful.
"

If you are not satisfied with this response, please let them know.

Yes, frustrating to not see lines drawn. Also, I see many "bleeds" in 3D views. Objects that have surfaces close but not touching to other surfaces tend to bleed through both surfaces. Then there are other problems like cutting sections or making wall elevations and some lines are not there at any zoom level. I assume this last one is not a video problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

As we have stated earlier, this is not a trivial problem and manifests itself only on a specific video card manufacturers hardware.  Our development staff does understand that this has impacted productivity for some of you, though, and is continuing to work on this issue with the third parties involved as well as looking at changes to Chief Architect that may resolve the problem. 

The issue has to do with drawing a single pixel, horizontal line on screen consistently.  There is a setting in Preferences that can resolve the issue for you by forcing the lines to draw at a minimum of 2 pixels, though it may make other lines on screen render larger:

Preferences>Appearance – Line Weights – Minimum Display Weight: 2 Pixels

We will continue to work toward a permanent resolution with the highest priority and hope that this suggestion will be helpful until then.

No problems here either since switching back to an Nvidia card.   How people actually live with that is beyond me.   I had the card lying around so I tried it in a new build, but as soon as I saw that, it took me about 3 min to realize I cant live with it.

Ordered new card that day.

Hello All,

As we have stated earlier, this is not a trivial problem and manifests itself only on a specific video card manufacturers hardware.  Our development staff does understand that this has impacted productivity for some of you, though, and is continuing to work on this issue with the third parties involved as well as looking at changes to Chief Architect that may resolve the problem. 

The issue has to do with drawing a single pixel, horizontal line on screen consistently.  There is a setting in Preferences that can resolve the issue for you by forcing the lines to draw at a minimum of 2 pixels, though it may make other lines on screen render larger:

Preferences>Appearance – Line Weights – Minimum Display Weight: 2 Pixels

We will continue to work toward a permanent resolution with the highest priority and hope that this suggestion will be helpful until then.

AMD here, tried the 2 pixels but it is too bold and changes the way play view is displayed.

Not a good solution.