Printing in portrait mode

Ed_Orum

My printer will go to 36" wide.
I need to print on ARCH E size paper, so when I went to print, I switched from landscape to portrait mode.
However only the paper size changed orientation, the file stayed in landscape mode.
How do I change the orientation of the layout file so everything is in portrait mode?

Thanks in advance.

Lane

Did you build your layout page?  If not, you will need to do that.  There are no already-built layout pages for portrait oriented sheets.  You can scratch-build your layout page with borders, titles, revision lists, page number, date, all that stuff, or you can take one of the prebuilt templates and rotate it, borders and all, and then edit from there.

Is the plan fully annotated for sending views to layout?  

Rotating a plan is easy.  Edit>Edit Area>Edit Area (All Floors) will do what you want, but if you are fully annotated, there is gonna be a lot of editing to rotate all the text and other anno elements that need it.

14 hours ago, Ed_Orum said:

My printer will go to 36" wide.
I need to print on ARCH E size paper, so when I went to print, I switched from landscape to portrait mode.

If Chief makes it difficult, you might try printing as PDF then print the PDF to the plotter from (for example) Adobe.  Your PDF software might make it easier to print the rotated sheets.

Jim

On 9/27/2023 at 10:28 PM, JKEdmo said:

If Chief makes it difficult, you might try printing as PDF then print the PDF to the plotter from (for example) Adobe.  Your PDF software might make it easier to print the rotated sheets.

Jim

Yes, but the issue with that is line weights...they do not print true from a PDF.  At least not for me.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, GeneDavis said:

Did you build your layout page?  If not, you will need to do that.  There are no already-built layout pages for portrait oriented sheets.  You can scratch-build your layout page with borders, titles, revision lists, page number, date, all that stuff, or you can take one of the prebuilt templates and rotate it, borders and all, and then edit from there.

Is the plan fully annotated for sending views to layout?  

Rotating a plan is easy.  Edit>Edit Area>Edit Area (All Floors) will do what you want, but if you are fully annotated, there is gonna be a lot of editing to rotate all the text and other anno elements that need it.

So are you saying I need to rotate the layout and the plan files independently?
I was hoping that once I sent the plan to the layout, then I could simply have the layout print in portrait mode, like I can do if I print it first as a PDF.

Yes, the plan is fully annotated.
Maybe just anothe reason not to upgrade to X15, I wish Chief would focus a little more on practical, everyday things like this as opposed to creating a picture perfect, sun shadow, etc. rendering. (sorry, I had to get that off my chest)

Lane

Ryan said it and I said it way upthread.

It's not done in Chief.  You rotate in your printing program.  Here is an image of a page of a print set.  The page orientation is landscape, but as can be seen, I rotated it in Adobe for printing in portrait mode.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 004543.png