Object Snapping issue

DougDM

X15, been using CA for about 20 yrs now and just noticed a point to point snapping issue. The issue, it doesn't work 90% of the time. I've been using AutoCAD since 1982 till recent and never had this problem. I decided to start using CA's cad from time to time a few years ago and never realized what was or is going on till now.  Unless there is a setting I'm unaware of, I'm working on a job which requires a lot of line work, or lining up things with snaps (which I would typically use AutoCAD for)  Anyway I needed to zoom in on a couple things and saw this (see attached). I started check the rest of my drawing and noticed missed snaps through out. A crazy number of missed snap points. I was wondering why things weren't lining up properly.  Anyone else noticing this? I am absolutely using point to point, be it move, copy from >to, lines etc.and allowing the snap to highlight light before picking it's final destination point. When I zoom in,  it missed, try again, missed again...and it's not just once. It's a ridiculous number of times. If I'm doing something wrong, but with 40 yrs using AutoCAD and 20 with AC, I highly doubt it.

Snapping 2023-09-01_8-56-26.png

It's possible the issue is based on the type of object, or other settings within that plan file.

To analyze this issue it would be most helpful if you did a video recording demonstrating your issue and attached the plan file. Otherwise, all I can tell you is that I don't have that issue.

Someone with intuition that spans a further distance than mine may know exactly what's going on in your plan!

Thanks Robert,  Yeah I may just do that after this job is done.  I failed to mention, Grid snapping is off. I know if I set my dims default to Decimal and precision to 3-4 places (which I only use for engineered drawings of high precision)  It seems to help a bit. But this shouldn't happen regardless of settings, a snap point is a snap point, a pixel x by a pixel in size. Therefore an Intersection being an intersection, end to end. line end to point, whatever. My graphics card is a Nvidia RTX 4090 ti with up to date drivers, so I doubt it's that. I just spent an entire day fixing things I thought to be aligned properly only to find otherwise. Snaps not doing the their job. If I'm at fault,  I'll take full responsibility and first to apologize for the rant..  However in searching the grand ole web, I'm not the only one having this issue. AutoCAD has refinement variables in place to fix this. I'm wondering if CA does as well and  I just don't know of them. Anyway... Rob, I thank you for listening, :) Have yourself a great day. 

What object snaps do you have turned on?

It is easy to duplicate this problem if you only have On Object snaps turned on.

I don'd think it is a problem in this case, but you should be aware that when Point To Point move is used, Angle Snaps do not work - you need to use the Shift key to temporarily toggle Angle Snaps on.

Can you post a simple plan like your one above that demonstrates the problem.

Same experience. Even though it’s 2D, it acts like there is a foreground snap point and a background snap point just a bit off. 

AutoCAD never does this, and I’m exploring SketchUp pro and it snaps very accurately too. 

I noticed with CA quite often when I am trying to dimension the run of a jack rafter from outside of framed wall to face of hip or valley. It tries to stop along a centerline of the jack instead of snapping to the long point. If you zoom in to fill the screen with the width of the jack, you can sometimes catch the long point for a point-to-point dimension. 

Accurate snapping is critical.