Importing 3D model in created for realtor

I am starting work on an addition / renovation for a couple who is in the process of buying the home to be renovated. Their realtor has offered to create a 3D model of the house using a service  that will scan the rooms. The system can create Matterpak Bundle, E57, and BIM files. Can any of these be imported to Chief, and is it worth doing so?

The full Matterpak will not help you as CA can not read the point cloud in the same way Revit can. The floor plan that then give you can be useful but the accuracy is to about 1-2". If you have critical dimensions, I would take those on site. This is based on my owning a Matterport camera and doing multiple scans of spaces.

2 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

The full Matterpak will not help you as CA can not read the point cloud in the same way Revit can. The floor plan that then give you can be useful but the accuracy is to about 1-2". If you have critical dimensions, I would take those on site. This is based on my owning a Matterport camera and doing multiple scans of spaces.

Even though it will not help you with the model creation itself it will be able to be imported as a symbol where you can size it based off of a known dimension and have a full 3d symbol.  You can use the slider to cut from the top and get a floor plan you can trace over.  You can also use the matterport online model to take measurements to help with your window/door sizes/placements, heights, etc.

One other Option is Canvas, if you have an iPad with Lidar ( newer models ) it has its limitations as well but the Canvas Measurement Report (CMR) can be useful on Smaller Projects ( I no longer recommend their Chief output as it is based on X12 only )  it's there PDF of all the Room, Window and Doors Sizes ( get Onsite dims to Confirm while there )  though you still need to make sure you get Ceiling Hgts, and any changes in Elevations, ie step ups/downs and at ALL Stairs ( no# of Risers and Tread Depths are important ).

M. 

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

One other Option is Canvas, if you have an iPad with Lidar ( newer models ) it has its limitations as well but the Canvas Measurement Report (CMR) can be useful on Smaller Projects ( I no longer recommend their Chief output as it is based on X12 only )  it's there PDF of all the Room, Window and Doors Sizes ( get Onsite dims to Confirm while there )  though you still need to make sure you get Ceiling Hgts, and any changes in Elevations, ie step ups/downs and at ALL Stairs ( no# of Risers and Tread Depths are important ).

M. 

FWIW I have found matterport to be a lot more accurate than canvas.

I worked off a Matterport model recently to do a Chief as-built drawing.

I struggled with some dimensional discrepancies compared to building exterior dimensions taken from the plat survey.

So, I went to their website to read about their accuracy.  They claim 1 percent.  This can amount to 6" over 50 feet, which is a lot and not extremely accurate.

Something to be aware of.

Jim

3 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

I worked off a Matterport model recently to do a Chief as-built drawing.

I struggled with some dimensional discrepancies compared to building exterior dimensions taken from the plat survey.

So, I went to their website to read about their accuracy.  They claim 1 percent.  This can amount to 6" over 50 feet, which is a lot and not extremely accurate.

Something to be aware of.

Jim

Neither Matterport or Canvas is highly accurate, in my experience, even though both claim 1%, but I I am not sure whether it's "Pilot Error" or just where the Technology is at today.

For Client's that use either I highly suggest separate Onsite Laser/Taped Dimensions to Confirm ( see my post above) and to Supply to either company those critical dims.

M.