Layout Box Layout Set Control

contractcad

Granted I'm not the most proficient using Chief Architect but please tell me if I'm remembering right or I'm actually starting to get senile.  If I remember correctly older  versions of CA Premier would automatically create unique layout box layer sets for each new layout box plan view sent to a layout.  That seemed to stop in more recent versions but I believe I was still able to create unique layout box layer sets manually (figured it was probably some setting I could change but never bothered to take the time to try to figure it out).

The problem that I'm having now is that in attempting to place 3 small plan views (foundation, first and second floors) on a single layout page it was thought to be quicker and simpler to just create unique layer sets for each floor layout box... except after creating the layer sets and then attempting to update each layout box to it's own layer set all 3 layout boxes would update to the layout box layer set I would select for any one of the 3 layout boxes.  Very frustrating.

Now I know that I can keep this from happening by unlinking the layout box as I send the view to the layout but I never did this before and I believe my plan layouts would previously always hot update changes I made in the plan, even though for any elevation I had sent to the layout I usually had to force an update by clicking the update radio button to see it. I believe sending layout pages to print would also force updates.

Is this layout box/layer set schism I'm experiencing something new to CA or am I just loosing my mind?

Yes, in older versions you could make a copy of the layer set at the time you sent a view to the layout.  Newer versions are setup to just use the layer sets in your plan so if you want to have your views to use different layer sets then you will have to set them up in your plan.

So I think the problem you are having is that all 3 of your layout views are linked to the same "saved plan view".  When you change the layer set in the saved plan view, then all 3 of your layout views will change.  You need to either have 3 separate saved plan views or you need to unlink your layout views from the saved plan view.  Personally, I would use the 3 different saved plan views each with their own layer set.  

Chief actually has some pretty good videos on saved plan views that might help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2421/saved-plan-views.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2433/developing-saved-plan-views.html?playlist=84

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10199/productivity-tips-saved-plan-views.html?playlist=171

If you have created layer sets for Floor Plan, Electrical, Framing etc.

You can change the layer set in the layout view.

The auto layer create when sending to layout is turned off to stop the creating of so many duplicate layer sets.

Use this method if you don't want to use the "Saved Plan Views".

CA Layout Layer.JPG