Truss Base Help Needed

ACADuser

Thanks but I did that & two other video's plus invested about 4 hours of research before I posted here.

That is what infuriates me. Something that should be so simple is near imposable without the TRICK to the process.

If you want to do the typical truss over , no problem.

So what makes this condition sooo hard?

I haven't found the answer yet.

None of this is direct at you Curt. I do appreciate your effort to help. :)

Alan,

This condition is a bit harder because it is unique. The automated tools only get you so far - anything repetitive and completely standard. Custom solutions need to be done manually. See video below for how you can edit your truss envelope to create the overlay.

http://youtu.be/8mCrz34H0vw

Sorry no dialogue - I don't have a mic on the desktop computer.

Alan:

I took a stab at it and couldn't get the valley set trusses to build right either.  Kevin's solution is unique .. I have never had to do that before.  All my projects are new homes so your situation is new to me.  Maybe someone else besides Kevin has another way to get Chief to build the trusses more in line with the way we would want the truss base feature to work.  Maybe the way the truss base uses all the plan information doesn't work for a roof addition such as you are working on.  Maybe this should be sent in as a suggestion for further improvement on the tool ... unless both you and I are messing up in some way in the way we are trying to get it too work.  Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

Thanks fellas for the time to help.

My bad luck that I don't build CA compatible houses. :wacko:

The solution given by Kevin gave me the idea.

Build a main house bigger than actual, create the add on trusses trusses. Then lock the envelope of each truss.

Went back & shrank to main house to correct size.

And to adjust several roof planes to get back to desired size for main house but the trusses created staid in place.

What a PITA.

I am doing the same type of addition now. I am doing the addition roof with the existing and noting it on my roof layout (with a transparent fill for the new section). It all looks the same in elevation and the truss guys do a detail with their package.

I am listening to Joey and trying to work with what we have and not spend hours doing something I don't have to.

Doesn't the truss base work? That looks like a simple roof overbuild to me. Here in Calif. we do those all the time. I mostly build all my projects using all conventional lumber but some existing homes are trusses. Isn't that roof overbuild done conventionally anyway?

Though I contributed a solution, for my own projects I merely fill the overlay area with a hatch and let the truss manufacturer take it from there. Keep it simple (like Sherry)

Yes, that is the quick way out & how I do it in ACAD (plan view only).

But I wanted the section view I posted & yes it can be done as you illustrated in your Video.

Thanks

Doesn't the truss base work? That looks like a simple roof overbuild to me. Here in Calif. we do those all the time. I mostly build all my projects using all conventional lumber but some existing homes are trusses. Isn't that roof overbuild done conventionally anyway?

Not in the plan I posed.