Cabinet door thickness question

M-Ferioli

I would like to show a cabinet door with 1" thickness vs the normal 3/4".  I have a door symbol that I made custom that is 1" thick.  When applied, it only shows the thickness increase in the 2d block, 3d remains 3/4".  I made the door extra thick and can see that the hardware moves out, but door still shows the same thickness in 3D.  I have tried changing everything I can think of that this point with no luck.  Am I missing a setting or is this not working correctly?  or is it not possible? 

I can change the Y position of the door and push it out away from the box, but thickness remains at 3/4".

Tried in X15 and X14, same result.

Thanks, Mike

I guess you need to look at what is different between the door you have that works and the one that doesn't.  Maybe a stretch plane or origin issue?

BTW, it does not seem to be related to how complicated the door is.  See my toilet doors below.

toilet door.jpg

• Like 1

You can take any cabinet door and copy it to the user library. Then resize it, use stretch planes if appropriate for the type of door symbol, then place the door in plan view as a stand alone object. Then convert the resized door to a new symbol as a cabinet door/drawer and save it to your library. The symbol needs it's original size to be the depth you want, otherwise it will revert to the original size even if you've changed it in the dialog. You can always click on "Reset Object Size" to inspect what the symbol's true size is.

I made this one 3" thick to make it really obvious.

image.thumb.png.34439a3bf8ea682378922185635d3554.png

HA!  I used the same stretch planes, I'd have to look at the origin, but when importing from SketchUp, that hasn't been critical in the past.  Depth works fine if i just place the door in the room, not attached to a cabinet.

ah, that does work.  That is interesting.  Something doesn't seem to be working correctly though since the system knows I have resized the door via the dialog box and changes the 2D block and moves out the hardware.  But keeps the door at its imported depth in the 3D view.  That cannot be the way it is supposed to work.  Your workaround is effective, I can use that in this job. 

Thanks for the help!