Deck Rim and End Joist Sizing

LotzCC

Deck rim and end joists are automatically sized at 1 1/8". I am assuming whoever set the default in the app design is assuming the rim and end joists would just match the default decking. My company uses the same 2X pt lumber as the joists and then fishes the ends and rims with 1/2" PVC/Composite fascia/cladding. This seems to be the norm for the new matenance free deck materials. I previously found that Chief does not have automatic deck fascia settings.

Is there a setting to size deck end and rim joists?

Has Chief added deck fascia settings that I am not seeing?

1 hour ago, LotzCC said:

Deck rim and end joists are automatically sized at 1 1/8". Is there a setting to size deck end and rim joists?

Out of the Box, yes, and as LVL. The Deck rim board size and type is adopted from the Foundation Framing Defaults:

46769622_ScreenShot2023-07-17at4_17_34PM.thumb.png.5fce51acf904a74aa832ada68cc3fb58.png

1 hour ago, LotzCC said:

I am assuming whoever set the default in the app design is assuming the rim and end joists would just match the default decking.

OOB default material for decking is Redwood, for deck framing is Treated Lumber.

Go to Default Settings > Floors and Rooms > Room Types > Decks > Structure > Planks, Joists and set the materials you want for decking and framing there.

1 hour ago, LotzCC said:

Has Chief added deck fascia settings that I am not seeing?

No, not that I'm aware.

I had success doing this.  Thanks to Glenn down under for the invisible wall as spacer hack.

Don't frame a deck until all floor framing elsewhere in the plan is done, and make sure your floor framing is locked and autoframe is turned off.

In Defaults>Framing for floors 0 and 1, reset the spec for rim joist to 1-1/2" thickness, select "lumber" for type.

Create a new wall type exterior wall.  I took Siding-6 and stripped off in and out leaving only the main, changed it to be 1" thickness, deselected framing for the wall type, made material insulation air gap, made wall type air gap, and then drew a wall with it, inside the deck and parallel to the house wall from which the deck will hang, end to end of deck.  Then moved the wall tight against the house wall.

I then framed the deck, by selecting its room and clicking on the "build deck framing" tool.  It builds with lumber rims, same type (pressure treated) and depth as deck joists, and the against-house rim has a 1" space between the house floorframe rim and the deck ledger rim.  That is what I want.  Half inch sheathing, half inch Dek2Wall spacer.  Perfect.

BTW, that 1-inch space that is there happens to be the sum of all the exterior wall layers that are on the house wall, in case OOB Siding-6 with its 1/2-inch sheathing and 1/2-inch clapboards layers.  The invisible wall's width of 1" has nothing to do with the 1" framing gap.

There is one little hook I can't explain.  See the pic here.  That 1" wall is visible in the 3D perspective framing overview and I don't know what it is.  In the view I show, I used the delete surface tool to lose the floorframe sheating so you can see the joists and rim.

824823756_Screenshot2023-07-18141810.thumb.png.f90acc41511dc56607c94efd5aee6a6e.png